1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am feeling compelled to tell by best friend...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tired_of_lying411, Mar 31, 2006.

1. tired_of_lying411

WOW, was reading stuff on here and I just started to get this feeling.
    I AM GOING TO COME OUT TO MY BEST FRIEND ON MONDAY!!!
    wow. This is going to be okay. She already has another totally gay and flamboyant best friend so no worries. She is good people so she would never tell if I ask not to.
    YAY!

... encourage me so I keep up the courage up until monday.

2. Mnstn

Good luck! Coming out can be a great feeling, which I've recently discovered. I wish you the best of luck, I hope it goes well.

3. tired_of_lying411

4. TriBi

Good Luck!:eusa_clap

5. chrisg

Hey, good luck!!

6. LorenzG1950

Hi, tired of...

I have the same plans, just for Tuesday night. After work, I’m taking the train to visit my best friend, Sylvia. I’ve told her that I have a big surprise to reveal and it can’t be done over the phone. Her husband is working and a son at home. A romantic candlelight dinner, just the two of us. I’ve known her for over 20 years when she used to come to my band practices and concerts. I think she was in love with me, and I was scared to death of her. She wound up marrying my best friend and roadie, Rolf. Their son is now 13. Although I moved to Mannheim, we still met at least 3 times a year, the whole family at the horse races, or at concerts. In 1999, Rolf committed suicide.

In 2004, Sylvia married a nice guy, a cop who has since adopted the son. We’re all good friends and still meet for concerts, and the races. We have a date for Mother’s Finest on 27 April. I just couldn’t wait that long to keep the news to myself.

I’m guessing she’ll laugh out loud, cry, then the light will go on, and we’ll hug, and live happily ever after.

So much for fairy tales (I like that).

Now that I have a script, the rest of the pieces have to fall into place. I’m putting lots of trust in my ability to predict behavior. Sure hope I haven’t bet on the wrong horse.

Many of you will be in this same situation sooner or later. I’m very excited, scared, proud, confident, confused, optimistic, all of the above. I’m finally owning up to who I am, to someone I really care a lot about, ``live``, in person, no punches pulled. No, I haven’t considered the consequences.

I wish you all the luck in the world! And just a little bit for myself.

Lorenz

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I wish you both the very best of luck - and I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

8. tired_of_lying411

well, I choked. I really wanted to but I didnt-- oh well. another day - look at my next post for the rest.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yep, hopefully next time you'll do it. You were close, it's just that final step.

Meanwhile let's all keep our fingers crossed for Lorenz tonight. :wink:

10. LorenzG1950

(&&&) Zowie! I’m out with my best friend and she was even more supportive than I ever could have imagined. We had our romantic dinner in a fairly quiet restaurant that filled up quickly. While she was briefly away from the table, I ordered champagne, the point of no return. When it came time to tell her what we were celebrating, I stammered like a first grader who forgot his homework. It was much harder than I thought to get those 3 German words out, “Ich bin schwul.” (I’m gay). Then I had to explain how I arrived at this conclusion. We discussed everything under the sun, including that she once wanted to marry me. We swore eternal friendship and shared some pretty intimate stuff. I’m still sailing in the clouds.

After dinner, she insisted on taking me to a nearby gay bar that she had been in once, more by accident after a late party night. We talked for several more hours and she seemed so concerned that the other patrons (all guys) might mistake us for a hetero couple, thereby reducing my chances to meet new guys. That was really sweet. She also wondered if gay guys are intimidated when straight women are around. I told her it depends on how you come on. If it appears that you’re laughing at someone, it doesn’t matter what bar or sexual orientation, you won’t make any new friends.

“Everything’s gonna be alright boys
    Help is on the way
    Hold your head up high now
    There’s no need to cry now
    We’re not runnin’ anymore”

Home of the Brave – Toto (D. Paich, S. Lukather, J. Webb, J. Williams)

Thanks to all of you for moral support. I wish everyone had such a cool and loving person to come out to as I did.

Lorenz:smile:

11. TriBi

Wow - Lorenz - that's a good story. Congrats!

12. LorenzG1950

Thanks TriBi,

I'm still recovering from just 1 hour of sleep. I forgot to mention that she asked me about which movies I'd seen to convince me. I promptly handed her a copy of "Latter Days" (purchased that is). I ordered 3 more copies for myself. The next Mormon I run into is in for a rough missionary time.

Lorenz:icon_bigg

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Congratulations Lorenz! (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)

14. lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well done, I'm currently working to raise the courage to come out to my best friends, but it may be a while.

Glad to hear it went so well and congratulations again

15. tired_of_lying411

wow! thats really great for you. I hope it all works out the same for me too.
    soon...

16. LorenzG1950

Thanks guys. It really has been a beautiful mindblowing experience so far. Made two new friends last night, one from Iran and one from Taiwan. More on that as soon as I have time to breathe. Last night, I kept asking myself, "Geez, is it this easy?"

I'm super glad if a post can help someone else and especially happy to have found this site. It's a constant reminder of how small the world really is. I don't even know what country this site comes from. Does it matter??

Still flying,

Lorenz

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

USA, but it doesn't matter at all. We have mods from the UK, USA and Australia, and members from around the world.