1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting more help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KnightAssassin, May 24, 2011.

1. KnightAssassin

I need [ like desperately ] more help than i am getting right now ... the problem is i don't know how to ask for it . I have told many things to my therapist and we are working on stuff but i need more than just this ... i have been thinking about hospitalization , which triggers anxiety attacks [ i was in one already and things didn't sit right for me ] but i am getting better IN SOME ways , and worse in some other . i am at a loss for what to do besides try to survive . i am very self loathing and i need to stop this , i am at the point where i let depression run me leading to stupid actions and it needs to stop . i am only doing this as a thread because it will have a few options that can help . i am not on any medications and i am looking for a psychiatrist , but things aren't getting done because my mom doesn't know i need help , i am trying to be in charge of myself but no one knows i need more help than i do ..... sorry about the repetition .... what are ways i can hint at needing help because i am not comfortable to just go up and say it , let alone talk to anyone in real life about this .

2. Gumtree

I'm slightly confused as to what exactly you need help with.

Are you looking of emotional support, help with depression, perhaps self-harm watch?

You don't have to find all your solutions from one source/person. :slight_smile:

3. Jim1454

I'm not sure what you're looking for either...

You were able to ask to see a therapist (presumably) because you're seeing one. Does your therapist know that you're still struggling? Do they think you need more help than you are receiving? Why not tell your mother how you're feeling? She knows you're seeing a therapist, doesn't she? What about your family doctor? They would be the next person to talk to about this. There's a big gap between doing nothing and not being on any medication and having yourself admitted to the hospital.

Talking with your doctor might identify an opportunity for some medication that could help you in the short term with some of your feelings and help you get on the right track with your therapist.

4. KnightAssassin

those are kind of it , the big problem is right now i am spiraling back into some bad habits , i am not self-harming , and i do not want to [ i spent a while self harming and it is the furthest thing from productive ] , but the thing is i need help and the longer i try to repress it the worse i am getting and that is leading me closer to temptation . i have a problem with asking for help so i need a way i can get help with either
    A) going behind everyone's backs
    B) letting people who need to know know without telling them
    and i am not quite sure how to go about those , and well i am sure some people have had similar circumstances so i figured i might ask .

5. Jim1454

...But you're not physically incapable of doing it, are you? How did you start to see a therapist? You must have asked for help. You don't ask for an ice cream cone and end up working with a therapist - you ask for help.

I know it's hard. It's one of the hardest things any of us ever does. WE ALL have a problem with asking for help. YOU ARE NOT UNIQUE HERE. It's the most painful 30 seconds when you are starting one of those conversations, but it's worth it!

Tell your therapist, tell your mom, tell your doctor.

6. Gumtree

How related are your 'issues' to your sexuality do you think?

Is it possible that you feel asking for help would undermine your sexual confidence?

You're in a really tough situation, because there is no possible way to get help without asking for it in some form.

I can see only two possible solutions.

1. Find a way of overcoming your inability to express your need for help. This could be something really simple, such as finding a way of communicating that doesn't involve one on one conversation; such as writing a letter or an email. This might also mean approaching a different kind of person for help that you otherwise haven't really tried, such as a distant relative or a 'not so close' friend. Perhaps the greater the distance between this person and your normal social circles, the more comfortable you will feel.

2. Find confidential help. Look beyond the resources that you've tried and try to find a VARIETY (more than one) of sources of help that you have no previous connection to. New counsellors, new doctors etc, people that you effectively are a new person to.

7. KnightAssassin

i was hospitalized not quite willingly , so i didn't ask for help per se .... i am going to try to talk but im not sure ,

i think i will try this one