1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Roxas93, May 24, 2011.

1. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh yay. Again let me start by saying how happy I am to have found this place. I'm currently sitting behind a grocery store near my school bawling. My first instinct was to come here.

Let's give some backstory. I'm in a English class with a bunch of people I hate with a teacher I hate and have been procrastinating everything which I hate about myself. Way early in the semester I asked if I could switch my period 5 films to period 2 films and my period 2 English to period 5 English. That would put me in a class with people I like, a teacher I like, and I'd have more incentive to do my work. However the school board in their infinite wisdom told me it was "in the best interest of the student to stay where he is." Bullsh*t.

Anyway. I just got out of a meeting with the vice principal, and he tells me that he is concerned about my attendance. Yes, I am aware 20 absences in a class is bad. But at this point I haven't tried at all in that class, I don't plan on trying, and I want to drop the course altogether. I'm staying for grade 13, so I can do it next year. I also inform him Im not graduating this year as a choice not because I don't have my credits. This apparently blew his mind completely as no ones ever done that and how dare I be different. See, my school hates different things. I was just talking to one of my friends in the office who is a little person, and she is switching schools because he being teased by everyone.
    So my vice principal tells me that I have no choice, I have to stay in English and attend every class and he assigns me 2 weeks of lunch detention. THEN tells me if I miss even one, I'm suspended.
    I actually laughed at that point. In my mind suspension is a joke. Punish us for missing school, by making us miss more school. Where is the logic?
    Also, apparently he can deny me coming back next year as I'm not a "motivated student".

So I leave, don't go to class (obviously his talk meant so much to me) and call my mom crying my eyes out. She basically says she'll call the school and talk, but I shouldn't have missed all those classes and if I miss one more so help her she will put me straight to full time work and no university.

Ah more backstory. See, I don't want to go to university. Hell I don't think I want to go to college. She doesn't know this.

I tell her fine, I dont want to go to university anyway and she back pedals saying I will go no matter what.

So EC. I have a fuming angry mother, a school that is filled with people I really don't want to see, and 29483 detentions to go to.

Help? D:

2. Gumtree

The problems you have are final, and can't be changed, so here's my suggestion.

1. Don't aggrivate the situation. Unfortunately, in both school and at home, you're the little fish. In both situations you're at the mercy of either your teachers or your parents. Fighting back or opposing them isn't going to work.

2. Sounds like you need to have a real conversation with your mum! Parents have a LOT of power when it comes to Parents Vs Schools, and if she's on your side, you'll be amazed at what 'changes' you can force in your school. If she wants you to go to Uni, and you don't, then that's a problem on its own, but one that needs sorting by some solid communication, because as it stands it's just another barrier between you two.

3. You need to approach your Vice principal on your own terms. Go to him without be summoned and talk to him. Explain that you don't feel comfortable with either the students or the teacher in your class. I'm not sure about your legislation, but in Aust, if you state you don't feel comfortable, the school is legally bound to try and find you an alternative. Don't be aggressive about this, and don't debate your detentions. Go in calm and willing to discuss the options.

4. Suck it up. Harsh, but true. The reality is you skipped 20 classes, of course there is going to be punishment.

Tought it out now, because remember, it gets better.

3. NickT

You do realize without a college education or even a diploma you're not going to go far in life, right? How do you plan on living on your own? This isn't what you want to hear, probably because you hear it from adults all the time, but maybe since I'm 20 I'll be able to get this little thought into your head. Someone else can play the good cop, because I sure as hell am not.

Your precious phone? Your precious internet connection? Your precious house? Your precious food? Your precious clothes? That takes money. You know how you make money? A job. You know the kinds of job people get without completing their education? Well let's just say you're not going to have many of the things you enjoy today. You have the opportunity to be someone great, you have that privilege whereas some people in other countries do not. Instead of mandatory education, they get mandatory military training. Would you have preferred that? You are throwing it all the way, and for what? What reason can you provide to not finish your education that doesn't serve ONLY yourself?

4. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm actually looking for a slap to the face. So thank you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    @gumtree
    Thank you. I will have a talk with my mom tonight. We were just both angry at the moment.
    I've told my guidance counsellor I wasn't comfortable, but it didn't change their decisions. D:

@NickT I plan to finish my education in high school. I want to return for Grade 13 and graduate next year. It's just I won't be graduating with my class, but with the current grade 11s instead. However I do see what you mean. The job I want doesn't require a university diploma, so why spend thousands of dollars an 4 year on something I don't need?
    I'm just angry right now. I'll probably be suckered into going to college at least, but it's just. Rage right now. >.<

5. NickT

Aaaah, I see now. Yeah, I can see how not graduating with your friends might be tough. Unfortunately that's how it is, and graduating a year later might not work out well for you. I don't know how the situation is in Canada, but in the US college tuition costs are skyrocketing more and more every year. Some people don't go to college to get their job-specific training, even though most do. Some just get it for the experience of college, and to have a well-rounded education. Plus, I think a study showed that two people with the same job get paid differently depending on whether or not they had a college degree. It is certainly expensive, but it's going to keep getting expensive. Best to do it now and have that experience while it's still manageable.

6. Gumtree

Would anyone like to explain to me what I meant by 'Tought' ?! Gosh I hate typos!

Anyway, I strongly suggest re-approaching your Vice Principal directly about your discomfort. Communication between guidance counsellors and other school staff is often really shocking. I know this as someone that use to work with highschool students and had to report to senior staff members on their problems.

Approach your VP with maturity, articulation and diction. Make him understand that your attendance is not the result of teen angst or unjustified 'moods'. It's a long term issue that is a serious reality, and a threat to your education.

7. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    @NickT Canada is pretty good when it comes to schooling costs. It's just the strikes the teachers seem to like to go on that's the issue. The only University I've considered applying to, York, has a strike every 3 years. D:

@Gumtree I'll talk to him tomorrow. My issue is I find it hard to control my emotions, especially infront of someone with authority. I shall try my best though.

Thank you both for the advice. It means alot. :slight_smile:
    I'll post later how the talk with mom goes. :eek:

8. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like it has been been said above, you skipped class and now have to face the consequences.
    About your chosen career, though. You said it's not necessary to attain further schooling for it, but would it give you a boost in any way? Have you researched the job well enough, found out about potential employers, job outlook, different levels of salary?
    Before you make the decision not to attend university/college, be sure all of your bases are covered.

Also, if you do wind up going to York, be sure to eat at the Japanese restaurant they have on campus at least once. It's fantastic. ;D

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno what it's like there, but if a school is causing this much problem, I might suggest going to the school board even. Just a suggestion though.

10. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hai, sorry to just not respond. Got grounded off computer and phone and am sneaking on just to post this. Dx
    <3 talk with mom went well....ish. And at least she didn't take away anime north from me, which is amazing by the way.
    I'm allowed back on on Tuesday, so I'll be back then. :slight_smile: