1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underage Relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pazzaragazza, May 25, 2011.

1. pazzaragazza

Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'm a bisexual girl, 15 and a half. I have a 27 year old boyfriend.
    BACKGROUND: No, he's not a pedophile. We've been friends for 4 years, and he has always, always been involved with women his age and older.
    We've been together for 7 months now and we have a fantastic relationship. It's secret, of course, a very few trusted people have been told but that's all.
    So what I'm asking is, how weird is this?
    He treats me wonderfully, and we're really romantic and fuzzy :slight_smile:
    He also knows about my sexuality and fully accepts that, he's the first guy I've been with and he makes sure I'm comfortable with everything that we do, everything.
    We believe that love has no age limit. What do you think?

(I don't have good internet, sorry if I'm on here sporadically.)
    Thank you all (*hug*)

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

I hate to start right off raining on your parade, but I have to say that a 27 year old who is in an intimate (or near-intimate) relationship with a 15 year old IS, by definition, a pedophile or at least an ephebophile. Additionally, the fact that you have been "friends" since you were 11 (and he was 23) is a huge, huge red flag and deeply concerning.

What is really challenging for teens (or in your case, a pre-teen when you first met) who are approached by pedophile types is that the pedo types are exceptionally good at "grooming" their targets; they are careful and slow, they work hard to establish and elicit trust with their targets, they slowly, over time, introduce ideas like ""love has no age limit" and... over time, they sell you on those and other ideas as well. That's precisely what grooming is, and ANY teen is grossly outgunned by the pedo types, because they are older and in most cases have been honing their skills for years. And, as you've described, they are exceptionally patient; spending 4 years grooming someone would not be uncommon.

They also lie their asses off. Basically they are masterful at telling you exactly what you want to hear, particularly things like "Oh, I never ever am attracted to anyone your age, I always go out with people my own age" or "You're the first person your age I've ever been attracted to"... those are part of the grooming process, designed to make you feel special and unique. The truth is, very, very rarely are you the first, and rarely are you the only person your age they are talking to. They will never, ever admit to the lies they've told you, and they will always tell you they are not pedophiles. Many even (disingenuously) warn you against talking to pedophiles and how bad they are, while doing exactly what pedophiles do. And I suspect that's the case in your situation.

Additionally, the fact that the relationship is "secret" in itself is worrisome and telling; obviously both of you know that it's wrong, and that's why it's a secret. If it were healthy, and he were genuinely OK with it, he'd have no problem with people knowing about it.

I am guessing that your first response will be to rationalize his behavior, reject what I'm saying, and argue inside your head why everything I'm telling you is wrong, and I don't understand, and this guy *really does* love you, and you *really do* love him, and this relationship is special, and he'd never do anything to hurt you. That's part of the grooming. And... sadly... it works. But the very fact that you are here posting means that some part of you, in the back of your head, knows something is amiss.

I've worked with probably a dozen people here on EC, in the exact same situation you were, and all of whom, at the outset, were convinced that this relationship they were having with an older guy was really special and loving and wonderful... and afterwards, realized that it wasn't anything of the sort, and they were really glad they got away from it. They also felt really hurt and angry when they realized what these people had done. My guess is that your situation will be the same, once you really think about it.

Follow that part of you that made you decide to post here in the first place. If you want to talk more about this, please feel free to PM me or another of the advisor team. We can help you explore this more in your own mind, and we can also help you in ending this unhealthy relationship if you would like that.

Please keep us up to date on what's going on, and I hope the above, while it may not be what you want to hear, is helpful.

3. Shulk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in a relationship for two years with an asshole who was older than me by 7 and a half years. The guy did terrible things to me. Fortunately this was only over the internet. So get the fuck out of there before it's too late. That bastard emotionally blackmailed me, manipulated me, and did some things that can only be described as cyber-rape. the last half of 2008, all of 2009, and the first half of 2010 is nothing but a black, dark void for me. ESPECIALLY 2009.

Two years I'll never get back. Ever.

Don't make the same mistake I did.

#3 Shulk, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree.

I'm not playing devil's advocate here... Honestly, there is just something about younger girls. They're hot. At the risk of painting myself as a pervert, i have to restrain myself from looking at all the scantily-clad schoolgirls if i am near a high shool of an afternoon. I live in australia where school uniforms are universal, and since i have left school i have come to realise how absurdly hot the image of a naughty nubile girl in a plaid skirt with pigtails really is (i also wonder why the fuck every school seems to have such short skirts as standard uniform). It's a really, really common fantasy.

I also know it's okay to look (kinda), okay to fantasise, but wrong to act upon, under any circumstance. I would never go there, and it's not because i'm afraid of getting caught, it's because i know that it's undeniably morally wrong. The fact that this guy either: a) lacks this moral instinct, or: b) ignores it, should be ringing alarm bells.

I tend to think that on some level (if not every level), he knows that what he is doing is wrong. If he really were that naive, he wouldn't see the need for keeping it a secret. Most men will go to a great many lengths to get sex, especially - and i hate to be crude about it, i'm sorry - especially hot schoolgirl sex.

I don't think it's cynical to suggest that that is probably what is going on here.

[edit]

However, it's alltogether possible that he really HAS never been with a girl your age before. That doesn't mean he's not an opportunist, who has sprung upon a chance to 'get there' with a schoolgirl. "After all, you only live once!"

#4 Pseudojim, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  5. bryan176

Age is just a number if the two of you are happy together and love on another I say keep the relationship going and see where it takes you. I wish the two of you luck.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are young. I would suggest seeing a counsellor, if you can.

Or, if not... If there is any feasible way for you to see a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, just for one session, they will probably be able to give a very well considered, well-rounded point of view.

7. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know a lot about the law in America, but if the police in the UK found out about a 27 year old having a relationship like this with a 15 year old he would be in serious trouble. Like, go to jail for a long time trouble.

8. EM68

I agree with Chip. Your relationship is not a healthy one. The fact that its secret and you have been going out for several months has set off red flags for me. The fact that you have been friends for 4 years raises a question to me, where are your parents ( I hope I don't come off as harsh)? You need to end it. As hard as it may be, you need to do it. If he threatens you then you need to tell your parents or authorities.

9. Shulk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bullshit. OK, a 24 year old guy and an 18 year old girl? That's pushing it but it's all right by me IF THE OLDER ONE IS REALLY A TOTAL SWEETIE, IS VERY CUTE, AND NOT A CREEP. But seriously, this is TWELVE FUCKING YEARS APART! Not right. Not right at all.

10. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this may sound like trivializing it but in my mind two rules apply to this situation:
    * 27/2 = 18.5+7=25.5 Therefore he should date people aged 25 and up.
    * You are a minor and he is 27 and therefore it is legally pedophilia for him to have a relationship with you.

I would suggest you end this relationship imediatly, before either one of you gets into serious trouble.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get out of there. That's the only advice for you. Get out of that relationship now.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we should all steady on a little bit.

This is a kind of emotionally evocative issue but it is still a human issue with a human relationship. While we may have strong feelings about it, expressing them with strong and antagonistic words isn't going to help our OP.

13. EM68

I agree. Lets keep this civil. :slight_smile:

14. starbucksshoote

Gak.

Well, depending on where you live, it's most likely illegal. If it's discovered (and chances are it will be, despite best efforts), then he faces jail time.

Secondly, if he's known you for four years, that means he met you when you were 11, and he was 23. That can't bode well for a future romantic relationship.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but what do a 27 year old and a a 15 year old (ages don't have halfs when you get over a certain age - and the law doesn't take that into account) have in common? Are you even in high school yet?

You asked how big a deal this is. On a scale of 1 to 10, about a 17.

I'm sorry, but there is no acceptable justification for this - your personal feelings aside, it's not right.

The person who said age is just a number is terribly wrong. These laws exist for a reason, and it's to protect children from predators. I'm deeply worried that this is what we have in this case.

Please, please, please make the decision to terminate this relationship, before you get hurt and he goes to prison.

15. Just Passing

I'd say this is a big deal (if it's in the UK, chances are it's the same in the USA, etc). Regardless of love, relationships like this can be quite damaging in both reputation and general securtiy of both individuals. You're underage and he's overage, if anyone finds out, the chances are that they will disapprove, maybe even worse results.

End this relationship now, before someone finds out and lives get worse.

16. -Michael-

I agree with pretty much all of the above.

This doesn't seem a wise choice.

Please, talk to the advisory staff.

17. Chandra

Er, 27/2 = 13.5 + 7 = 20.5. :slight_smile:

18. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...stfu, I got my A grade maths gcse I never need to do sums again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (although that was rather stupid...)

19. Fishken

Fishken Guest

Well that was harsh. Only because he's a few years older, it doesn't automatically mean his only interest in her is to "use and run".
    And how come he's automatically labeled as a predator because of a few years in age? Age of consent where I come from is 16, and as long as she don't have sex with him before she reaches that age, then there should be no problems at all.

Maybe we shouldn't be too quick to judge?

#19 Fishken, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
  20. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    When I was fifteen, I did the same thing. And I heard all the same stuff that you guys are saying now, and I thought it was bs because I knew I was different, and it was different for me, and he wasn't like everyone else.
    And you know what, when your fifteen you don't know as much as you think. He's now serving two years after they discovered he'd been distributing photos of me and several other girls over paedophile websites. Hell, i'm sixteen and in a year time i'll probably look back on my current relationship with an eighteen year old and wonder what I was thinking. I know I probably will, but I still love him so much...i really do. And at least he's not posting photos of me anywhere!
    But a relationship with someone more than five years older than you, especially at our age isn't usually a good idea. Even if he's not intentionally manipulating you, I have to admit I agree with everyone else. If you decide to stay with this guy though, keep in touch here, yeah? Because if, and that's an if, something goes wrong, the people here are amazing <3
    I've also learnt that when i'm told to do something, I usually go as far in the other direction as possible. Instead of doing that, could you do something moderate like, suggest to your bf that you introduce him to your family? Because that would be a good first stage in working out if you want to stay with him. Please take care of yourself, I see so much of myself in you.