1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Brother. Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfy, May 25, 2011.

1. Wolfy

Well, me and my brother have always had a love hate relationship. We'd get into fist fights and all that when we were younger, but we're much more mature now. Since 3 years ago we've been best friends. Rarely getting into fights.

So, he's always known me as a very 'Masculine' sister. He makes comments like "Girls don't do that" and all that. I also have no idea on what he thinks about Transgenders. I know he makes fun of people who are homosexuals, so do I. Jokingly, because technically I'd be considered gay for dating a guy. I'm not sure on his views on sexuality and Gender orientation. My friends tell me he'll probably be really supportive, my mom and step dad already know. And my Therapist mentioned I should tell him before I come out to everyone.

I love my brother, and if I come out to him we can start changing on pronouns and my name at home. Then slowly work on it for school.

I was just wondering if anyone had any way to bring it up, it's kind of been bugging me for a while, and I really want to tell him. A large majority of my friends know about me and are fully accepting. I'm ready to take the next step in my transition, for home. After that, I'll take a step further with school.

Another problem though, is that I have no idea where my Therapist has been. He hasn't been showing up, and not returning my calls. I love going to Therapy, and he's said he'd come into my school and do an assembly on Transgenders and all that and talk to my teachers and everyone about me transitioning. I've got 2 more years before I can take hormones, but I can take Hormone blockers for now, but my Therapist has been away so I can mention them. Nor can I get a subscription for it.
    But, if anyone has an idea on what to do about that situation, that would be helpful.
    Thanks

2. Jim1454

It sounds like you're ready to tell him, so it's time.

If your mom and dad are being supportive, then your brother is likely to be the same way. He might be hurt if he hears the news from someone other than you. Good luck.

3. EM68

I would tell your brother. Sounds like you have a good relationship. Hey, I fought with my brother when we were younger. What siblings don't. :slight_smile: When I was coming out, it was tough for me to come out to my twin brother because he would sometimes make gay jokes. You know what, since I came out to him, those jokes have stopped. In the end, he wanted to see me happy.

If you are having problems getting hold of your therapist then I would see if he has an answering service that you can leave a message. Also if he is in a medical building with other doctors or therapists you may want to go to their offices to see if they know whats going on with him.

4. Wolfy

I wouldn't say my mom's very supportive, she tries to be, but my Step dad I guess I'd say is the most supportive. He'll say my male name sometimes.
    That's what my Therapist said. In regards to him hearing someone else tell him.

I've left messages too, though. He's just in his own building.