1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Feel Terrible

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TWestside, May 27, 2011.

1. TWestside

TWestside Guest

Right now, i feel terrible. I'm not sure if i can write in a flawless English, excuse me if i make mistakes.
    Today was the worst day i had in my entire school life. I've never been bullied, that is maybe because i'm not out yet. But the things that spoken in the class today made me feel this way.
    We were in our Psychology class and somehow our subject was being gay. Our teacher said that being gay is some kind of a psychological illness and basicly she meant being gay is something wrong and inappropriate. I tried to defend but clearly it wasn't enough to change her mind.
    2 hours later, in German class a girl asked to the teacher what he thought about this and he replied just like the psychology teacher. He said he can be OK with a straight couple whose are kissing on the street but he cannot be OK with a gay couple doing the same.

There are so many things they told but you get the main idea, i think.
    I didn't know what to do, so i shared with you guys. Anyways, thanks for reading.

2. StarofMiyu

Depending on where you live open discrimination may be illegal. But if yu live in a conservative state you may have to just live with disgusting ignorant pricks like that.

3. JustCallMeRJ

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gosh, I HATE that people call it an illness or disease. It just makes me so angry when people say that because it's totally not! They're just so ignorant and homophobic and it's as wrong as they think being bi or homo sexual is. And I'm really sorry you had to sit through that. My heart goes out to you.

Btw on a lighter note, LOVE your avatar. :love: Hehe.

4. jimL

This is just the reason that I stayed in the closet all my life. It's just pure discrimination at its best. This is the world that we have to live in. Hang in there and be strong. Is there someone that you can talk to? Someone that you can vent to? It sure helps. I'm still in the closet but have my hand on the door. Good luck.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Sorry that you had to hear that (*hug*)

You could report the teacher to your principal for bullying or even discrimination if sexual orientation is covered in your school.

If you don't think you can do then then, as hard as it can be, we all have to learn how to brush some things off. You know the truth and you know its not a mental illness. Feel sorry for their ignorance, but don't let them get you down.

When things like that happen and you feel frustrated our sad then start surrounding yourself of the positive things around you. Friends, EC, the itgetsbetter videos. Anything that makes you feel better.

Keep at it that one day you will be able to stand up and tell the teachers that they are wrong :slight_smile:

6. Scandinavian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    homophobia is everywhere in our society, your teacher(s) clearly tries to hide their hate with words and mean spirited arguments. What would I do? since we are the same age and we got the same out status (closet). I would probably do the same thing you did.

I would ignore them, but then on the other side... how will they ever learn?
    I really don't know what we can do, to stop the hate...

but you can start by never changing who you are. To be yourself and love yourself! U got allot of people rooting for you! including me (*hug*)

Its OK to feel sad,angry and terrible today, but tomorrow is a new day! :wink:

7. Raeil

The psychology teacher saying that homosexuality is an illness should be reported. I understand that you're not out yet, but when a teacher states something that can be proven to be completely and utterly false (especially when it's in their own field) they must be held accountable for it. I don't know of any major psychological institutions in Germany, but every single American one has removed homosexuality from their disorders list and has stated that homosexuality is most certainly NOT a disorder. In other words, you need to report this teacher for not knowing his/her subject material, as this is as bad as a biology instructor saying that evolution does not exist.

The student on the other hand, is entitled to their opinion. I'm sorry that you have to deal with heterosexism, but it still does exist. The only thing we can really do is brush it off or react with politeness and style. Reacting poorly just reinforces the thinking of those who believe the way they do. By brushing it off, we show that we are above insults, and by reacting politely we reduce the stereotypes associated with the LGBT community.

Good luck at school! Keep being awesome, and pleeeeeeease report your teacher or get someone to do it for you! :slight_smile:

8. TWestside

TWestside Guest

Thank you all for those supportive responses. :slight_smile: That's why i love this place, it makes me feel that i'm not alone at all.
    Actually, i'm not living in a conservative or a bigoted place here but i really don't know why they think in that way. I looks like no matter what i say or do it won't change their minds.
    I feel already better, thanks to you. :slight_smile:

9. Mogget

This is slightly tangential, but I think it's important: You are not obligated to educate people on the basics of homosexuality. The fact that you chose to speak up at all was an act of heroism, not duty, and failing to convince your teacher is nothing that you should feel any guilt or shame about.