1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a phase?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fiddledeedee, May 29, 2011.

1. Fiddledeedee

So at the moment I am reasonably certain that I am bisexual, Kinsey 2-ish. I have definitely felt this way for some months, and looking back I realise that I probably have and just not realised for several years. So I was wondering, how likely is it that this is just a phase, with past things being skewed by my memory? I have accepted my possible sexuality, but should I tell others about it? Adding plenty of "maybes" of course. Because I don't act gay, I am worried that people might expect me to be more stereotypical. I told my brother because I knew he would be accepting of me now and in the future. As far as I can tell, most other people would be OK with me if I was bisexual – even my church, which is very supportive even though I know there are people in it who think homosexuality is a sin – but I am dubious as to how they would react if I was mistaken. Are my feelings just a phase? Should I tell?:confused2:

#1 Fiddledeedee, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. KnightAssassin

its your sexuality , it does not define you . Tell people when you are ready , not when you think the should know . If you aren't ready don't tell them , or if you want tell them that you are thinking you like guys and girls . but the thing is yes its a part of you , but just a part . don't rush off to tell anyone you don't want to , but you already told some people so i will guess your somewhere in the park or not being straight , i am not sure about the likelyhood of this being a phase but i can offer just be yourself , do what you want and are comfortable with because in the end its your life not theirs .

3. Hexagon

Just go with it. Tell close friends when you feel reasonably sure, and come out to the world at large when you know for certain. There is no way that I can tell you whether it is a phase or not, but a good pointer is that if you are attracted to girls as well as guys, then there should be no reason for this to be a phase.

Try getting a girlfriend. That should help.

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

It could be a phase and it could not. Just know that either way its more than okay :slight_smile:

Before telling people I would suggest to spend more time accepting it and giving yourself time to get used to the idea of you being bi. That way, if you do choose to come out, you are able to explain it to people rather than coming out with blanks.

Coming out and telling people is completely up to you and you aren't "supposed" to do anything. If you do come out you will encounter some people judging you and waiting for you to act more stereotypical, but just shrug it off and know that you don't need to act in any way in order for you to be bi, gay or straight.

It can be a confusing time, but give it time and you'll be able to know for sure :slight_smile:

5. Sadepeura

There is no point acting stereotypically because if you are bisexual, it is part of you and not the other way around. You just need to act like yourself!

I don't understand why you should tell anyone. It's not a thing they need to know, because you are you - no matter what your sexual orientation is. If someone asks, it's reasonable to tell them that you think you're bisexual. And if you feel like you would like to talk about your sexuality with someone, it's of course a good idea to tell someone who you feel confident discussing it with.

6. Fiddledeedee

Sadepeura, I know they don't technically need to know, but for if/when I get a girlfriend I would rather they had time to adjust beforehand. However, I do not intend to go out with anyone for some years yet.
    RubiksCube, I love the idea of getting a girlfriend. :lol:
    Also, I just feel much better when people know who I am and still like me. That is, I do not tell them every tiny thing but I want them to know everything that might be relevant to them at some point.
    Before telling any of my friends I will give it some more time; though I have researched bisexuality I would not be able at the moment to answer how I know that I am. My health ed teacher says that it "grows on you", not meaning that you become more bisexual over time but that for some people certainty has to slowly build up.
    Thanks to all for reminding me that there is nothing I am "supposed" to do, either by way of behaving or coming out.:slight_smile:

7. Hexagon

Yeah, me too. I should really try it someday.

8. grimAuxiliatrix

Well, when know you know, Elizabeth. As for the whole girlfriend thing, I'm sure you'll find someone. Heck, even I could do well as one.