1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out of facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hexagon, May 30, 2011.

1. Hexagon

So I'm going to a new school, and I'm going to be going as male, so I need to completely come out by then.

I'm getting my name legally changed sometime over the summer, so once I do that I'm going to change my name on facebook and make an announcement (already changed my gender, but its hidden). Before then, I'll come out to my best friend (in person, which is why I'm putting it off till the summer), but I need advice on what I should actually say in the announcement.

Should I say that I'm transsexual, that my name has been legally changed, explain what trans is and post some links or is that overkill? Most people already know, but I can't just go changing my name and gender without some kind of an explanation.

For that matter, I have no friggin idea of what to say to my friend. She knows I'm pansexual, and she's dealt amazingly with it all, but this is going to be something new.

2. Wolfy

Gawsh darnit, I wish I was going in a new school. :L and I thought you had to be 18 to change your name? If not hell, I want my name changed. D:

Anyway.
    I think you should make an announcement stating that you're a transexual. Instead of posting links or something, you can say uh, "Any question, please inbox me."
    and you can post a link to Hudsons guide (If you know what that is.)
    I don't think posting a ton of links would be over kill, some people that don't know might be really curious and find it interesting.

About your friend, just tell her straight out. That's what I've done with my friends, and basically I've had my other friends that knew with me.
    Sorry if I read that last part wrong.

3. Hexagon

Parental permission, at least in the UK, is needed until 18. Yeah, I know what Hudsons guide is, I used it a few months ago. Thanks for the advice, its probably the best way to do it.

4. Sadepeura

Good luck with all that! That's a big but good step. :slight_smile:

You could of course write a note on facebook where you explain everything from your point of view and then add a few links in it. Or is that what you meant in the first place? I know statuses have a word limit, so you can't fit very much in them anyway. If you write a note then I think you should just make it as long and informational as you feel necessary and are confident of posting to everyone on your facebook.

And good luck telling your best friend! I'm sure she'll take it fine although it can be scary to tell her.