1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay groups.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by simon, Nov 10, 2007.

1. simon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I was talking with this guy on Friday and we thought of starting a gay group in our area. I'm trying to arrange a meeting with our lesbian mayor to get some help with it and I'm just wanting to know: do any of you have any thoughts about how to help with this?

2. justjoshoh

It really depends on what you perceive the groups function is for the community. How do you foresee the group? Is it a group of young or older people or a mixture? What is the core focus of the group?

Determine your group's values:
    Decide which values the group holds

Develop your group's mission:
    Define your target audience. Determine the reason for the groups existence.

Distinguish your group's vision:
    Establish the long-term goals of the group.

That is the start of strategic planning, I would suggest starting there, prior to the meeting with the mayor. If there is a program established somewhere that you know of that you would like to model, trying to contact someone from that group.

Good luck.

3. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

GLSEN Jump-Start Guide

Here's a Guide on how to start a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) from the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)

It's a bit of a hefty read, but it's well worth your time. Amazing resource!