1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convo starters?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jackm, May 30, 2011.

1. Jackm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys,

I'm sorry I don't post much.. sounds weird but I genuinely get nervous even posting on here.. :\..

Anyway, I feel I am at the stage where I want to tell one person.

Now I know this may sound like such a stupid question.. so my apologies for that to begin with.

So I have found the person I want to tell.. I just have NO idea how to even start the conversation. We very rarely have "serious" talks so I just don't know how to bring it up. I've actually had one convo with my friend about this sort of subject and told them I wasn't straight essentially (but in no way did I mention I was gay). My friend has told me numerous times he has no problem with being gay ect. I still regret not just telling them there and then.

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I just really have no idea how to do it.

2. IanGallagher

This isn't me marketing movies. But, an older mentor once taught me a great business practice through relating it to Iron Man 2. I, in turn, came out to my best friend through relating my biness to being a mutant in The X-Men (Singer almost purposefully made this the metaphor of the film series). I'd say...

Comes out this friday:
    [​IMG]

It might sound odd, but it has allowed for a conversation starter beyond any other. The film series has done an excellent job of portraying the hardships we face. Bobby's coming out scene. Angel trying to cut off his wings. People wanting us to get cured. Etc. The latest film continues this, there's even a line where Beast says "you didn't ask, so I didn't tell." The key question this time seems to be "why should we have to hide?" which fits in great with coming out.

It would allow for a more serious discussion without it feeling totally up front, since the film or just comics in general would help lighten the mood and overall atmosphere.

It's how I came out. It would also help give a more personal view on what it's sometimes been like without having to dive into the specifics. Half the work's already actually been done.

Ex: "You know how it was difficult for Bobby to come out to his parents that he's a mutant? Well, I've felt the same way." "I don't think I should have to hide who I am either." Etc. It just brings to mind something really relatable as a jumping off point.

#2 IanGallagher, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. borntosurvive

I initiated it with my friend as a game of twenty questions. I wasn't fully ready to tell her, and it was my first time coming out. She got it after about five questions. I cried a bit when she figured it out and told me she wasn't surprised, but we laughed afterwards. It was kind of funny and I think that it went well.

4. Beertruck

That's easy! Just say "Hey _____, so, I'm gay." Sometimes its just better to out and out say it. I personally liked to trap my friends on car rides so they couldn't escape. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

One piece of advice I've read on here that's really good is that people take their cues on how to react from you. So don't build it up like its some terrible dark secret unless you want them to REACT like it's some dark terrible secret. Tell them like it's no big deal!

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its not a stupid question at all and I think its something that all of us have thought about before at one point or another.

Try to come out in a way that feels natural to you. The possibilities are endless. You could start by telling your friend that you have to tell him something important and that you are nervous about it, and then you can go ahead and say it. You could also even mention the one instance where you almost came out and tell him what you really wished you had said back then.

From what I have learned, though, there really isn't a perfect way to come out. You can either do it in a very specific way, while joking, text, via email or even in the middle of a fight, but the out come is usually the same regardless of how you choose to say it which is an amazing thing in my opinion :slight_smile:

From the sounds of it your friend suspects it so I would go ahead and just say it. However it comes out :slight_smile:

Best of luck!