1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has anyone thought of having kids someday?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kris B, Jun 2, 2011.

1. kris B

Ok..so this is way out in the future for me, but I was just wondering if anyone else had thought about having kids some day? How difficult is it for gay men to adopt in US? Can single gay men adopt? What about surrogacy?
    I grew up with the idea of having kids someday and one of my big disappointments was realizing that may not happen for me, not in the natural way that is. Does anyone else feel this way?

2. Beertruck

I have thought about it... pretty extensively. It was also one of the reasons I was in denial about being gay for a while - my dad was adopted and I pretty strongly wanted "my own kids."

But as you said, there are options like surrogacy, adoption, etc. available. Unfortunately I don't know off the details off the top of my head, but the important thing is there ARE options.

3. kris B

Thanks for replying. It's just good to know someone in the same situation as me.

4. Shevanel

Thought of having kids?

I will be having kids. There is no question about it.

5. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

My partner and I plan on having children by the time we are thirty. He has a 5 year old neice and a 1.5 year old nephew that we have got to spend alot of time with, and I don't think either of us could imagine not having children of our own eventually. My partner wants to do surrogacy and I am interested in adoption too. Whatever we do though, both of us are really excited to start a family...we are just probably going to have to leave Texas for a more gay friendly state before we do :/ .

Oh, and as a bonus my mom gets grandchildren. That was the one thing she was sad about when she found out I was gay.

6. Eric

I absolutely want kids.

7. borntosurvive

I WILL have kids and my mom WILL have grandkids. I even know that if I have a girl I want to name her Sophie.

My future is not a question of if, it's a question of when.

8. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't made up my mind. If I do have kids, I want two, because the vast majority of only children I know desperately wish that they had siblings. I think I'd try adoption before surrogacy, but that's just me.

9. MercuryLampe

It's also waaay in the future for me, but I love children and the thought of having one of my own makes me happy :slight_smile: I like the thought of caring for children <3 I'll be adopting~

10. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    I'd like to have kids, but only with the right person- no way I'm raising a child w/ one of their parents not loving them unconditionally.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I actually have no idea. I used to think that I really wanted kids, but now I have started to consider the idea of being a foster parent. Its still a pretty new idea so I'm not completely sure about it, but I do know that I either want to adopt or to be a foster parent. It also depends on what my husband at the time would want.

Also, gay adoption is pretty possible right now in most states. Its even legal to do so in florida which in the past had one of the most extreme laws against gay adoption in the country.

12. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want kids!!!!!

13. fulofbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also want kids, but I know I want to be in a stable long term relationship before I have one. I want to adopt a kid instead of surrogacy because I feel there are already a lot of kids out there that need our love.

14. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would love to have kids eventually. I reckon I'd be open to the idea of sperm donation so that the child is biological, and if it was a girl, I would name her Suzannah. :slight_smile: Of course I will consider the different options more carefully when I actually *have* a long term relationship.

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not unless i/future we adopt them.

16. steel03

I absolutely will have kids. I've wanted it my whole life and I'm not going to let being gay stop me.

17. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I think I may one day... if my partner wants to. :slight_smile:

18. Nope. Not a chance.

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. Hexagon

I'm not sure. Definitely not now. But I've been more open to the idea since realising I could be the dad. With a girlfriend/wife, I'd get her a donor, with a boyfriend/husband, I'd adopt or get a surrogate.