1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting smoking.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whiterosebeka, Jun 4, 2011.

1. whiterosebeka

so, i'm out of cigs. and i'm going cold turkey. i'm fixing to go on a serious nic fit, can anyone please give me suggestions to help me through this. its really grating my nerves and i don't feel like replacing cigarettes for food (although it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to gain weight either)

2. RedState

I smoked for a long time (maybe a 1/2 to a pack a day), and tried to quit several times with no success...but i finally did quit about 4 years ago.

I never was addicted to the physical action of smoking, I was simply chemically addicted to nicotine...so the nicotine gum really did wonders for me in helping me quit. You may want to try that...the brand Nicorette can be pricey but the different drug stores have their own store brands that are not as expensive.

I have had friends that were prescribed the stop smoking drug Chantix and they had success with that.

For the physical addiction, I've heard people use straws..you may look funny but they say it helps.

Some people have success in quitting cold turkey with no help at all, but it is rare.

Quitting smoking was one of the more difficult things I have done, but it is doable. Best thing I ever did...you will be amazed at how much better you feel.

Good luck!

3. spacedudeiitb

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Even I suggest Nicotine gums. If you're addicted to nicotine, I guess that's the way to go. What's more? Nicotine gums are are about to be tax free too!

And Best of Luck. You've come so far. Just don't give in now.

4. Just Passing

I've never smoked, nor have any intention to, but I've given up on Bourbon biscuits for the past six days for a week, so I suggest seeing if you can find something new (but healthier) to get addicted to, I'm sure it's possible.

But congratulations for giving up and keep going, you'll do fine.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People I know have had good luck with black licorice that's naturally flavored. The fennel used to flavor it is supposed to curb the nicotine cravings, and having the licorice stick in your mouth helps with the physical biorhythm.

Also, taking niacin (a b-vitamin) is also supposed to help with the cravings, as it's nicotinic acid which has a somewhat similar effect to the nicotine in terms of dilating blood vessels and so forth.

6. Jay

Jay

Everytime you have the urge to smoke, remind yourself that you've done X days (weeks) already and you can certainly do better than that :wink:

Here I am, 8 months and 4 days.

7. Artemicion

Not a smoker, but...I tend to crave chocolate when i'm down...