1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on going by a new name?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Owen, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

So various circumstances in my life have lead me to want to try out a new name (for those who are curious, I currently go by "Owen" and will be switching to "Shannon"). I've settled on a name I like, as evidenced by my previous point, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to go about asking people to call me by a new name. Any advice on letting people know about it, explaining it to people who say they "can't see me as a Shannon", things I should consider before going through with it, and anything like that would be greatly appreciated. And no, I won't be changing it legally; I just want to try it on for a while and see how I like it. If a year passes and I still like it, I might change it then, but for now, it's going to be my "preferred name".

2. StarofMiyu

I tell all of my friends to call me Miyu, you just have to enforce it haha

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think perhaps the best strategy would be to start with people that you know you best, and letting them know that you would like to be called by your preferred name. I would explain to them as to 'why' you want to be called by your preferred name rather than your legal name. Explaining the 'why' part and giving your friends and your family a bit of background will help them to understand it better and also easier to respect your wish.

If someone says to you 'I can't see you as Shannon,' that would be a good opportunity for you to ask them 'why?'. In some ways its an opportunity for you actually to learn as to how others see and identify with you. Having that knowledge could actually help you in your explanation to others, as to why you want to be called by your preferred name.

Another thing you could do is to have a 'transition' period where you let others know, and give them the time they need to get used to calling you by your preferred name.

Hope this helps a bit!

4. Mogget

Is there a reason you chose "Shannon" specifically? Explaining that reason, if it's not too personal, might help people to remember to call you by that name.