1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craving the Gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tristar, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As some of you may know from reading my coming out story, I came out quite later than many (at 45). What you may not know is that during the prior 25+ years I had pretty much isolated myself from anything or anyone that might lead to something "sexual." Yes, I have been celibate since 1989 (unless you count self-pleasuring, in which case I have been a wild man!).

I have only had a single sexual encounter with a man and a couple with a woman so my experience is, shall we say, lacking.

As a result, ever since coming out I have been "craving the gay." What I mean is I have been seeking out as much information as possible from various sources. I'm talking not just about sex but also community, historical perspectives, coping with heterosexism, etc.

I've been to some of the links in the "Resources" section here and of course read a number of threads, but I am curious, if you had just one book or website you found interesting or educational, what would it be? EC does not count. I already know how extremely helpful this community is. :icon_bigg

Just so you know, I've read or am reading the following:

10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Improve Their Lives by Joe Kort

The Joy of Gay Sex - although some sections were a little over to top for me (sex with animals...really?) I did find a lot of decent information in this book regarding safe practices, among other things.

I appreciate any responses!
    (!)

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, I think it is pretty cool that you are trying to gather as much as information as possible. Awesomeness!

A while ago a friend of mine (and if I would tell him that I kinda stopped reading the book again, would probably slap me now because the last time I told him I stopped reading the book he told me 'read the book damn it." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)) recommended that I read: "10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" by Joe Kort.

In essence the book is about relationships. Although Kort is focusing the book on intimate relationships and finding 'Mr. Right', he touches on a lot of subjects that are part of any relationship (including friendships). From what I have read so far, the book has helped me to understand a few things about myself and has allowed me to gain a bit of a different perspective on relationships. I'd recommend it! :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!