1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my psychologist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by highlights, Jun 8, 2011.

1. highlights

So I started seeing a psychologist a while ago, as I have some depression and anxiety issues that need to be sorted out. (only 1 session so far.)

These have been on and off for about 4 or 5 years (ironically, around the same time I realised I probably wasn't straight) and I finally got the courage to seek help, as lately things have been quite bad.

I want to talk to her about it before I tell anyone else. But I'm worried she might not accept queers. I know that in the profession they have a confidentiality agreement and are not supposed to discriminate. Still I don't know haw to go about it.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Come out to her. You definitely won't be her first nor will you be her last LGBT patient, you won't say anything that surprises her. Psychologists are among our biggest champions, if we can't trust them who can we trust? Just go in and tell her how you feel, and just put it out there. She isn't going to judge you, and she isn't going to react negatively. I think this is just your anxiety more than anything else.

Tell her what you just told us, basically.

3. Eleanor Rigby

Things are quite easy in fact : your psychologist is here to help you, but she can only help you if you tell her the truth and let her know what's bothering you. Being closeted can definitly be one of the things that trigger your depression and anxiety.
    If she is a good psychologist, she'll help you dealing with this and find your way out of the closet.
    If she is not accepting, then you'll simply have to leave and find a better psychologist to help you deal with your issues.
    I know it is easier said than done, but your therapist is here to help you, you have really nothing to fear.
    (*hug*) Cécile

4. AtmaWeapon

Unless she's a Christian psychologist and of the fundie variety (since there are religious based counseling services, is what I mean), I would definitely come out to her so she can most effectively help you to deal with your depression and anxiety. Even if it's not the root cause, it's only going to make it more difficult to deal with those issues unless you talk about it and let yourself be vulnerable there. It's improbable that she would discriminate though it's certain that you are diservicing yourself by keeping silent.

Not to apply pressure because I'm just someone off the net, but I do feel strongly about what I am saying.

I mean, if your orientation would be a problem and a reason to discriminate (which it isn't, but you know what I mean), then obviously that counselor is the wrong counselor. That goes without saying though I realize it's not easy to see it that way when you have a sort of relationship with this person, but it's the truth.

5. BasketCase

Its unlikely, in my opinion, that you will make progress unless you tell her. You do state a correlation between realising you sexuality and the onset of your condition. It will take courage but its a safe place to come out in my experience.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DEFINITELY let her know. It's very rare in places like Australia to run into therapists who have major issues with alternate sexualities. If yours does, you can always request a transfer to somebody who doesn't. Withholding your sexuality issues from your therapist is like withholding telling your doctor about those chest pains - it gives them an incomplete picture to make an accurate diagnosis. So definitely do tell.

Lex

7. ToTheCeilingFan

I came out to my psychologist last month -- I found it incredibly helpful and I would definitely recommend that you tell her. Your perception of your orientation is definitely affecting your self-perception and your mood, and she can help you with that. Good luck! <3

8. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

My phycologist helped me through my confusion initially and then helped me accept myself and become more comfortable with myself. Worst case scenerio, she doesn't accept you, she STILL legally can't tell anybody, and you can always transfer to someone else.

I would highly recommend it. :slight_smile:

9. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't be like me. I've known my psychiatrist for five years and she believes me to be straight.

10. kindaoutthere

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would def tell her. She's there to help you, not hurt you.

11. highlights

Thank you all so much for your advice. I think it's definitely the anxiety getting the better of me in this case. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm seeing her this week and will be sure to tell her :grin:

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    pretty sure she has heard it all, gay isn't going to bother or be a problem.
    If there is anyone you should tell its the people trying to help you sort out your life.

Good luck :thumbsup:

13. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, please tell her. If she isn't supportive in helping you accept your sexuality then find another psychologist. Most will be very supportive and understand that this is probably a very large part of your mental health issues. I'd tell her that you noticed these issues developed around the time that you realized that you're not straight and it's been confusing, frustrating, etc. Keep seeking help and keep coming here and I bet you'll be feeling better soon (*hug*)