1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any point in me coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NerdishOne, Jun 8, 2011.

1. NerdishOne

NerdishOne Guest

So I've been thinking about my sexuality pretty intensely for a while now and I'm sort of wondering if there is any point in me coming out.

I've discovered that I am sexually and romantically attracted to guys mostly. But sometimes I'm into girls too and I would be open to being in a relationship with either. I'd say I'm about a 2 on the Kinsey scale.

Is there any point in me coming out to people? How do I know it's not just hormones or something? What if I change my mind after I've told people and then I have to explain it all over?

Is this just a fear thing?

Gahhh. Honestly half of me doesn't want people to know because I'm more attracted to guys anyway. Half of me doesn't want people to look at me differently or act differently around me.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are usually a couple positives involved with coming out. For one thing, it puts you on the market. It lets gay/bi guys that you'd be interested, so you'll now have more options for dating. Another is that it tends to simplify your life somewhat. You don't have to be evasive when people ask about your dating life. You don't have to start playing games with pronouns or word choice to "not tell the truth without lying". You don't have to remember who you told what. You can just be open and honest.

Now, it might be that all this is academic. You might not want to date enough to come out while still in school, especially if your school is more likely to be homophobic. If so, there's nothing wrong with simply sitting out the dating scene and staying in the closet until after school. But if you DO want to possibly start dating, and your school isn't that homophobic, then coming out is probably the best bet.

Lex