1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fizzle, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Fizzle

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, I'm new here and I haven't read a lot of the threads so I'm sorry if something similar has come up.

I'm 20 years old and I'm out to everyone I know...except my parents. I started coming out when I was about 16 and I've had a couple of girlfriends. I'm currently in a relationship of about a year and half. I've wanted to come out to my parents for a long time but I don't know how. I'm slightly concerned about how they'll react but I'm 98% sure they'll be okay that I'm gay. My biggest concern is that they'll feel like I lied to them, be disappointed and hurt that I didn't tell them sooner, especially because I'm in such a long relationship. When I first started coming out to some close friends, my mom asked me if I was "normal" and I think that has been what has scared me off from telling them. I guess what I am looking for are any thoughts or suggestions of what I can do to come out. Thanks!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! If you think your parents are going to be supportive, you might simply let them know without doing an "announcement". One way - operate under the assumption that they already know. So you might tell them by framing it in context of your relationship. "I need to start thinking about what to give Sarah for our anniversary" or, if you want to bring them further aboard, "I've been seeing Sarah for long enough that it's probably time I had you meet her."

Lex

3. Fizzle

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks Lex!

I really like the idea of not presenting it as an announcement. I'm pretty sure my parents have already guessed that I'm gay and so it shouldn't be too hard to slip something in. Thanks!

4. Raeil

Hi there, and welcome to EC!

I wanted to let you know that if your parents have those feelings, it's understandable. I mean, you have waited a while, and those feelings (if they happen) will be related to them feeling like they haven't been a good parent. If those feelings show up, reassure them that it's not that you were worried about their reaction, and that you waited because you didn't feel comfortable bringing up anything sexual. Your parents should be able to understand, and if they don't have the feelings in the first place, then great!

Good luck, and feel free to use this site and all of us on it if you need anything!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! :slight_smile:

Statistically speaking, being 98% sure that your parents would be supportive when you come out to them is pretty damn good. :slight_smile:

If you have a strong feeling that your parents might already be suspecting it is possible that they are waiting for you to be ready to tell them. I wouldn't really worry about them thinking that you lied to them. Parents often times can sense when things aren't right or some of the things we might be going through. In fact, you coming out to them, could provide relief to everyone.

If you feel that it would be good to explain a bit as to why you waited to come out to them, I don't think there would be anything wrong with telling your parents that you waited because you wanted to make sure that you are ready to come out to them.