1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure where to put this but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SecretColor, Jun 9, 2011.

1. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    I never thought I'd be happy about the ending of a (pseudo-)friendship.

I had posted a little bit ago about coming out to my RA, having un-reciprocated feelings for him, etc. Well, he sent me an email asking me to not contact him again. Normally, that would have really upset me, but in the email he made it very clear that (at least to him) we were only friends in the sense that an RA and his/her resident should be "friends." I had thought we were actual friends, and that was part of why I was hoping he liked me. Now that I realize we never had a friendship to begin with, I've realized that I don't feel anything towards him at all. I surprisingly don't hate him or anything, but at the same time I'd be perfectly happy if we never saw each other again.
    :smilewave
    This also made me realize that another friend, who incidentally is a conservative christian, has been a way better friend to me than the RA; he's been completely accepting of me being gay and has always been willing to talk to me if I needed it. THAT's the friendship I'd be sorry to lose.

The only stressful thing about all this now is that the previous RA's bf is going to be my RA next year. I think I'll have to try and change my housing assignment, because I do not foresee any good coming of that situation at all.

One more thing: Caleb, though I doubt you use this site, thanks for being a really great friend. You were the one I could count on, and you're a better friend than 'NKW' (the RA) ever was. Also, NKW, I wasn't going to say this before because I didn't want to offend you, but now... your cologne makes you smell like a high-end rent boy. :icon_eek:

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its good that you havent let it affect you too much. (*hug*)

What is an RA, anyway? :confused:

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it only an American term?
    It means Residential Adviser. They are students at a university who volunteer for the position.
    They live on the same dorm floor as you or something similar like that.
    Their job is basically to make people treat one another well and they help people get to know others better.

Anyway, I'm glad you came back to post and give us closure about this issue!
    I'm glad you're happy about how things worked out. :slight_smile:

4. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    I hate to bump this but I have one final PSA: if a friend/ significant other suddenly does something that screams 'red flag,' don't ignore it. I did and I was stuck for ~2.5 months within the illusion that I had an actual friendship with someone when the entire time I was being set up to look like a basket case/fool.