1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is love?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VireBlaze, Jun 9, 2011.

1. VireBlaze

NO, not Haddaway's popular song. :rolle: It's just, honestly, I've never ever really been in a relationship. Ever. Like, maybe a crush on a girl once, but that was it. I never said anything to her, and I've never really felt anything with anyone else, like I did when I thought of her. Now, that was years ago, mind you, and a lot of my feelings have changed about things. I don't think sexuality is the big issue here right at this moment; it's more what being in love is like. I just don't really understand how I should feel IF I were in a relationship, what I should be looking for, if anything.

Uuugh. I could be just making things complicated, but whenever I try and picture being in a relationship with anyone, I can never see it working out. I'm pretty sure it's because of how horrible I look and that I'm pretty much a shut-in with not that great of social skills. XD But, to be perfectly honest, there's really nothing to do here, other than walk and play games. Beyond that.... Erm, yeah, not much. :confused:

2. Fizzle

Out Status:
    All but family
    I think love is one of the hardest things to explain. This is going to sound cliche, but it's a feeling, and when you feel it you know it. Love is when you put the other person's needs before your own, but your needs are never compromised because the other person is doing the exact same thing. Love is a two way street but the street can't begin until you start loving yourself (cliche, again).

That being said, love comes when you're least expecting it. It's easier said than done, but don't occupy yourself looking for that special someone or trying to picture it. Just enjoy the time you have now and what you're doing. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

3. Totoro

Love, to me, is the ability to be by someone's side no matter how hard it may be. It's more than "I just know I love you". It's questions like "are you compatible with this person?" "are you willing to make sacrifices to be with that person?". It's more of a commitment to me. When you tell someone you love them, you are committing to being with that person. Understanding each other, and less of a "is this the right person?".
    Love is the ability to be with someone regardless of anything. It's accepting the person as who they are. Love is... someone who makes you happy, that gives you a smile when you have a bad day. Someone who can tell you anything, and someone to whom you can tell anything.
    I think i covered everything :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    The feeling on the other hand, is indescribable.

In terms of picturing yourself in one... don't. When it happens, it will. Gain some confidence in yourself, first. Then put yourself out there :]

4. VireBlaze

Awesome advice gal and guy. :grin: I can understand what you mean. It's just a feeling that you recognize as you go along. The only issue would be my confidence/self-love. It's this weird thing that I have a tendency to limit myself when it comes to confidence. Trying to figure out that part.

I also need to get past living for other people. Like seeing anyone else happy because of something I did makes me happy. I know it's a common thing, but I rely on it a bit too much, like relying on people's opinions more than my own. Somehow I've built this trait into myself, where I want to make everyone happy. Really, it's just not possible, but I still hold on to that hope. Huuuurgh, making self-complications. >_<

5. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    love is what comes after lust, after that 3month honeymoon period wears off and you still have the same feelings, thats kind of what love is, but its deeper, yet less intense.
    my advice though, is to develop more self love, focus on your good points, happy people tend to fine love a lot easier because it makes them more desirable, looks aren't everything, and not everyone is shallow, best of luck finding that special someone :slight_smile:

6. Anne Nonymous

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Being in love is sort of like being snuggled together with someone else in a really comfy blanket, in a really safe place, with a really sexy thunderstorm raging outside, while you're a little buzzed and/or high. Well, something like that, I'd say :lol:

But, on top of that, I think Fizzle said it perfectly! You put your partner ahead of yourself and she/he does the same for you. That's when you know you've really found someone special.

Maybe I'm crazy (well, ok, I AM crazy), but I get the feeling that a lot of people go through their whole lives without finding that special someone.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think describing love is tough but I think when you are in love with someone, spending time with them is amazing regardless of what you are doing. When im with my girlfriend I feel happy, content and I often almost forget about the greater world that continues around you. I sometimes have problems with self confidence and I worry a lot, but when im with my girlfriend, especially when she holds me I feel safe, and content like getting into a comfy bed after a tiring day or sitting in your favourite chair after being on your feet all day. I could lie there with her forever.

I dont live with my girlfriend but when im going to see her I get happy and excited and butterflies in my stomach.
    Also one of my favourite things is that of all the people in the world she is the one person I most want to be with at any moment and her me and thats an awesome thing.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is love? Frankly I only have one word to describe love.

LOVE

That's all.

9. Tracy Lord

Random thoughts on love, some of which may sound trite, but experience tells me they are true:

Love is not a person you can spend the rest of your life with; love is a person you can't spend the rest of your life without.

Part of love is great sex (when people tell me they married their best friend, it usually means they don't have sex anymore).

Love is not blinking when she's having her third major surgery in five years. Believe it or not, people leave each other over health issues.

Love is not a choice. It's not like deciding you want to become a doctor, then taking the steps to become a doctor. It just happens. Or not.

10. VireBlaze

Maybe I just need to give it some time, huh? Being stuck in a small, isolated community kinda sucks. I guess I keep forgetting that I just gotta be patient. I'm always trying to rush things along. It feels like I'm being left behind in a sense. But whenever I get out of here, I just gotta keep my mind open and enjoy what there is. Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the advice! :eusa_danc

11. Buck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Love is a chemical reaction in the brain which lasts about six months

Devotion is different. That depends on the person.