1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tracy Lord, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Tracy Lord

Hello, everyone. What a week I've had. I've been dancing around the issue for some time, but I just recently came to a point of accepting the fact that, in addition to my lovely wife, I am also attracted to men.

I told her about it and she was totally understanding and supportive. So that's good. But not surprising. We've been married for 15 years and she's great. I am a lucky man.

I had my first therapy session today, where I spoke about these feelings to someone other than her. A total stranger. Even though it was a confidential situation, it was still quite overwhelming and, five hours later, I'm still shaking a bit.

So I'll definitely post more as I process all this; that's why I came here. But that's about all I can get out right now. Thanks for creating this place. I look forward to participating here.

CKDH

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2011 at 07:22 PM ----------

Sorry, I just realized there was an Intro forum. Could a mod please move this? Thanks. Told you I was still a bit shaky....

2. Raeil

Hopefully adding to this doesn't cause more issues for a mod to move it....

Hi there, and welcome to EC! I hope you enjoy it here, and find exactly what you're looking for!

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're are a lucky man indeed!

Welcome to the forum.

Where do you want to go from here?

Keep us updated! :slight_smile:

4. NordicSpirit

Welcome to EC!

Congrats on coming out to your wife. :slight_smile:

5. Tracy Lord

Thanks, everyone. I guess the thread can stay here, because I could use support, too. ;-)

You guys are lucky to be where you're at so young. I'm 41 and just coming to terms with this stuff.

The other thing I'm trying to come to terms with is having a, for lack of a better way of putting it, a "feminine side." While I was raised to think in black and white terms about sexuality and gender roles, I guess the reality is that they can be rather fluid; I've known that in my head for a long time: I was just never able to apply it to myself. While I'm totally happy being a man, there are also things that girls do, ways they act, etc, that have also come natural to me, but I've had to suppress because, well, they go against how I was raised religiously and what the societal norms are.

I guess the best way of putting it is to use the old example of gay boys wanting to play with dolls instead of playing sports. Well, it's not that I didn't want to play sports. I love sports. It's just that I wanted to play sports *and* play with dolls.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I'm not sure it makes sense to me yet, but that's the best I can describe it.

Thanks again.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really dont understand why parents hammer it in to boys and girls minds that they can only play with certain toys. Its a bit over-kill even if you are scared that your boy might be gay. Stopping him playing with Barbies isnt going to turn him straight, strangely enough! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm glad you've found your way to this point :slight_smile: I am also not 100% sure what all my sexual preferences are but this forum has really helped me out and helped me to progress.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

8. bryan176

First Off Welcome to EC, I am glad that your wife was able to accpet you for who you are right away. But yet again we are evolving into a new age of life where homosexuality is just part of life. Anyways congrats man we are all here for you.

9. Tracy Lord

Thanks, everyone. Random thoughts: though I'm only out to myself, my wife, my therapist and one long-distance friend, just being out to myself has been a life-changer. Part of the reason it's so huge is that I think the suppression of it all has been the source of the anxiety that I've recently had to start taking meds for again.

Freedom, even just within your own skin, is quite something. And the physical is connected to the mental. I tried it when I was in my first therapy session, and then when I got home, I sat down on the couch and sat how I wanted, now how I thought I should sit (I mentioned that feminine side...). And all of a sudden, a deep cleansing sigh came out.

And yet, I feel self-conscious about writing that, even here. Ah, well. I did just start this process....

Still, as elated as I feel, at the same time I am also...scared shitless. I can't quite explain that, but I am. Then again, when you had something drummed into your head throughout your childhood, I guess it doesn't go away in a week.

10. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome and I'm glad you found EC! Good luck to you on your journey and I hope you continue to improve each day :slight_smile:

11. Tracy Lord

Thanks, mnguy!

So, by coincidence, a very good friend of mine came to hang out last night. We've known each other for 25 years and still get together every so often.

I've come out to a long distance friend, my wife and my therapist. I decided I needed to come out to a friend face-to-face and decided on him. It was a fairly safe decision, because he was never a judgmental type. Still, I thought it might surprise him. It did a bit, but he was great and just listened to everything. I even told him about the crush I had on him!

He just told me he was my friend and is here for me. And that he would keep my secret.

I feel very lucky to have the people I have around me in my life. It's making all this so much easier. I'm very much in need right now, but I feel that at some point, I'm going to want to do what I can to help others who aren't as lucky as me.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC!

I've often described the coming out process as feeling like you're standing naked in front of whomever you're coming out to. And I think that because you're really making yourself vulnerable about something that's very sensitive, that you can't change about yourself.

But, just like getting naked in front of people, you get used to it and comfortable with it very quickly. Right now I'm sure it feels very foreign and feeling shaky is completely normal. But that will change a lot. And, likely as you find acceptance from others, you'll also find it easier to accept yourself and be able to explore your own identity in a deeper sense.

I very highly recommend the book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do To Find Real Love" by Joe Kort, Ph.D. The book is incredibly poorly named in that it has little to do with finding real love, and everything to do with understanding yourself and discovering yourself as a gay or bisexual man. There are several chapters in there that deal specifically with men who are married to women and discover mid-life that they aren't straight, and I think those in particular would be a good read, but I also think you'd find tremendous benefit from the book itself. The regular edition is out of print, but there's a large-type version available from Amazon, and you can usually find used copies on bookfinder.com.

There are also a growing number of people (I can think of close to a dozen offhand) at EC who are married but coming to terms with same-sex attraction so I think you'll find a lot of common experiences here.

13. Tracy Lord

Thanks, Chip. Each time I've told someone, there's nervousness, but then once I tell them, there's this huge wave of relief. A bit more of the weight lifts from my shoulders. A bit more of my psyche becomes more unbound, so to speak.

And thanks, too, for the book reference....

14. IanGallagher

I'd say check, if not already there, bisexual forums. There's one with a shirtless guy on top of a message box. There they have forums for married bi guys, which I think will be really helpful in your case since there's others on there in your same position.

15. Tracy Lord

Thanks very much, Ian....

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Congratulations on your coming out journey thus far. :slight_smile:

Every coming out, and even though you go through quite a bit of nervousness, is like shaking off another layer of having kept it all inside of you. What might help you for further coming outs is to remind yourself as to how far you have already come out. You have come out to your wife, your therapist, your friend and a long distance friend and ave received support and acceptance. That is already quite an accomplishment.

The book that Chip recommended is really good. I am reading it myself and it has helped me to think about a few things differently.

17. Tracy Lord

Thanks, Mirko!

I hope no one minds me using this thread to just dump my random thoughts in this thread....

I was saying something in another thread that I've been thinking about all day. I'm 41, happily married and otherwise a fairly well adjusted guy; I have all the experiences and "wisdom" that you might expect as a result (and by wisdom I just mean that I've had the time to make a lot of mistakes and hopefully learn from them). At the same time, however, because of what I've just realized about myself, there's a part of me that is not more than, say, 15 or 16 years old. I say this because I've been reading posts from teenagers on this site and thinking, "hey, I know exactly how that feels because I'm feeling it right now."

It's a very odd feeling. Not like I'm two different people, but sort of like that. More, I guess, like a guy who went to the gym for years and only worked out his left leg. He's got one nice quad and one nice calf, but the right leg is flabby and atrophied.

I don't know, it's just very weird. Good, though, because I'm now starting to work out the other leg.

The other thing is that I'm starting to get how it's not really about sex. I mean, it is (obviously), but I had no idea how much that would affect the whole rest of me.

I'm afraid this is sounding too dramatic. Well, it is dramatic.

I had an interesting experience today. I'm driving down the street and there's an attractive girl. I thought what I usually think, something to the effect of, "there's an attractive girl." And then, walking about fifty feet behind her is an equally attractive guy and I thought (rather, allowed myself to think) the same thing about him. That had never happened before. As a result I kind of halted internally, then thought how great it was to be able to do that.

I don't know if a word of that is going to make sense. I'm still struggling to process it all.

Thanks again for being here. You people are great.

18. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is how I feel too. I know people, who are younger than me, who have been out longer than me and are more experienced in relationships than me. Its almost embarrassing. I feel like I'm way behind where I should be. But, as you said, being here is really helping :slight_smile: