1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried people will think I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hexagon, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hexagon

Okay, so me and some friends from school went to the cinema tonight, and the guys didn't turn up. Leaving me surrounded by a group of girls. Apart from the continuous going off in pairs and having secret conversations and gossiping about everyone and talking about things I didn't know or care about, I felt incredibly self conscious.

Occasionally I've heard straight guys comment on the fact that they look gay surrounded by a girl only group, and usually leave pretty quickly. And that was exactly how I felt tonight. Except that I know I like guys as well as girls, and everyone who knows me knows it. I've known I like guys for a long time, and I don't have any issues with it.

And now I'm like huh? Because its a totally new feeling. I know a lot of straight guys seem to get this, but I'm a guy who is completely accepting of the fact that he's bi. So WTF? Hava any other guys felt this?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If I understand your post correctly, I wouldn't worry about it. :slight_smile:

Sometimes, we get self-conscious about things because for some reason or another we give them more thought to than we usually do. Maybe there is a small part of you that despite the fact that you have accepted and are comfortable with your sexual identity is still conscious about what others (including strangers) might think or how they might perceive you. I think we all have that at some point or another.

However, you know that you are comfortable with your sexual identity, and that is the most important thing here. Being surrounded by girls doesn't really make a statement about your sexual identity.

3. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'v always been surrounded by girls. Yes, I am infact gay, but I dont' know many people who'd pick up on it right away just because i'm in a group of girls. Who knows, maybe you're just a player who gets all the ladies.

When you get self-conscious about stuff in those situations, just remember, these are strangers. They know no more about you than you do about them. If you put yourself in their situation (which is, seeing something unexpected) how would you react? Probably not in a bad way. Even if people do think you're gay for standing in a group of girls, who cares? I'm betting very few people would come up to you and say anything about it to you anyways.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you're worried about being stereotyped as "the gay guy" of the group.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Like mirko said, everyone has those self-conscious thought every so often, but the important part is how we react once we get those thoughts.

Its important to not allow those thoughts to keep you from enjoying yourself and to wipe them out of your head or at least ignore them. Just know that the only thing that matters is for you to be comfortable with your sexuality and nothing else :slight_smile: