1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to be more confident?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alan t, Jun 11, 2011.

1. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I always wear really bad clothes and look like I don't care about fashion but actually I secretly want to wear stylish stuff. But I'm always nervous to do so because I fear that it'll make people notice me and I'm really shy. So usually I just wear big plain coloured tshirts.

Sometimes what I do is wear what I like then put a hoodie on top to hide under. Then I can unzip the hoodie whenever I feel less nervous about it. But that only works in winter, it's too hot now.
    Any advice to get over this?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I would tend to think that when people wear 'bad cloths' or cloths that don't really fit and are hanging that are actually more noticeable.

Anyways, if you want to wear more stylish cloths and things you like and look good on you, I'd say go for it! If someone notices you and tells you 'hey, you look good,' just say 'thanks and smile.' That can and most likely will boost your confidence as well.

Maybe get a few cloths that you like and are stylish and see how that goes. Even if someone notices you, I'm pretty sure it won't be anything you can't handle. If it helps, maybe take a friend along with you. :slight_smile:

3. patrickB

Confidence isn't in so much what you wear, or how you look... but how you CARRY yourself. You could be a bum dressed in a paper bag, but have all the confidence in the world.

This could just be my opinion, but confidence lies almost in your personality, within you. Are you upbeat? Loud? Quiet? Kind?

The true way to get confidence and keep it is to figure out way to raise your self esteem. Which means be comfortable with yourself, not worry so much about what others think. Worry about how you feel about yourself. Don't be quick to judge others, have your own opinions because you believe in them, not because they're someone elses opinions. Believe what you believe in, because YOU believe in it.

I think once you fully mature, and are 100% comfortable in your own skin, your confidence is at it's highest.

I try to stay confident at all times.... remember not to confuse confidence with cockiness, though.

You'd be surprised at how far just simple confidence can get you.

4. TheJoker

Thread title is misleading :slight_smile: You can't gain confidence with your fashion..But you might gain some fashion with your confidence.

Anyway,so if you don't have confidence problem but just wondering what can be stylish or not...Well, it depends on your look,your character.

If a fat girl wears tight clothes it doesn't look cool.But somebody with nice body make it cool.If you don't have hip-hop attitude don't dress like them.Its not against laws but its quite uncool.

Don't take it fashion too seriously.Just look at Depp and Rourke.. They dress like weirdo's actually but make it look cool. And its not just because they are hollywood stars but they have attitude of don't give a ****

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Like patrick said above, its all about self-esteem. You can't be confident until you are able to truly appreciate yourself for who you are, the bad things and good.

Work on your self-esteem and don't give up even if you get discouraged. As lame as it can sound, pick a self-help book and start taking notes! A good book can work wonders :slight_smile: