1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

something is bothering me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danny19, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Danny19

So ive been here like 3 hours thinking of how to put this. I try to take my mind off it but i cant.. Lately i have been feeling like something is bothering me. Like im missing something but i cant figure it out. Its been like a week and im tired of thinking this. I try to take my mind off it but i cant. its the first thing i think of and last. Its actually more frustrating than i thought. Today i was so frustrated i almost teared up and i hate that cuz that makes me feel weak. idk if anyone has felt this but i need help to see what it is. Im tired of it...Also lately i have been getting angry and frustrated at the fact that i dont know what i want anymore. Like in every sense. Especially school. i dont know what to major in and its frustrating because i cant decide what career will make me happy and make me money. I feel like lately im going through a hard time. nothing makes sense and im fed up trying to figure out what the hell is bothering me. Im just rambling and im sorry and i hope you understand what im saying. I need help in this. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

2. DarkClarity

I know how feel. I don't know what I want to do with myself. It's frustating not knowing how you feel and struggling to try and make sense of it all. I'm not bothered about making lots of money though.

You shouldn't feel weak just because you felt emotional. In fact you should be proud that you can feel and distingush your emotions Your only human.

The guys here on EC are awesome. I'm pretty sure they can offer you some advice.

3. olides84

We all go through period of insecurity and lack of confidence, etc. I think some of the important things to keep in mind is that so many of us, especially at 18, have no idea what we want to do in life. We are simply learning, sometimes slowly, what interests us and what we should avoid and what makes us happy.

One thing you must realize is that your major does not define your career. You are in college, so get an education in something that interests you and makes you excited to learn. If that leads directly to a well-paying career, well that's a bonus, but for the large majority of us there is very little correlation. Depending on the area of study, you are mostly learning how to think, how to analyze, how to judge, how to criticize, how to organize, how to express thought, how to lead, how to follow, etc. The topic is oftentimes not important at all!

Good luck!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! From what you have described it sounds like that you are over-thinking in what kind of an area of study you want to go into. I would suggest that you start looking at what interests you. Is there something that you studied during high school, or participated in something that you really enjoyed or thought to yourself "this is fun"?

In deciding what you would like to major in, I would also suggest that you have a read through program brochures and maybe attend some program information sessions or talk to individual instructors and/or program advisors.

As olides84 mentioned, your education doesn't have to define your career, so maybe just try to think about what you want to study and what would interest you to learn about. When I went through undergraduate studies, only during my last year did I decide on my career field (which is a different one from the one I'm in today). Given that you are not sure what you want to do, I would suggest that you pick out a field of study that you would find interesting but also that gives you the freedom to think about different career paths or choices.

You do have time to decide. You don't have to make all the decisions at once. It is possible that as you go trough the first couple of years of your studies, you will discover what interests you career wise.

Hope this helps a bit!

5. Tracy Lord

I would second what Mirko said at the end of his post. I experienced a lot of the same frustrations at your age. But I didn't get any good advice when I was your age, so it took me until age 40 to finish my degree.

If you just work on your general education stuff, you may find what you want to do through the experience of having to study a bunch of different things.

Not everyone knows exactly what they want to do at 18. There's nothing wrong with that. But there's so much pressure (especially now, with the ongoing crappy economy) that people feel like that have to figure it all out NOW. You don't. And, really, you can't. These first couple years of college are precisely for exposing you to things you haven't been exposed to before, things in the fields of things like philosophy, economics, political science, etc, that you didn't get in high school and that may very well give you the career ideas and inspiration you're looking for.

So, as frustrating as it is (again, I feel you on that one; I was exactly the same), there's really no reason to panic.

All the best to you....

6. Danny19

Well you guys sure helped me out with the school stuff... however i still feel like something is missing. and its kinda hard to explain. like materialistic i have enough so its not like i want something like an ipod you know?? idk maybe im just being weird.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest you try thinking about it a bit more. Don't overdo it of course either but maybe just try to think about it a bit. That said, sometimes when we are not sure as to where we are heading in life, and don't have a clear picture in front of us, other feelings come up that make us feel that other things are missing as well in life, when that is not the case at all.

I would be willing to bet that once you figure out your educational path and find something that interests you and will give you a sense of 'this is what I could be doing for a career' your outlook on other things in your life will change as well.

(*hug*)

8. Danny19

hm yea i guess your right.. i think i just gotta relax and not overdo it.. thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

9. Tracy Lord

Glad to help, Danny. As far as feeling like something is missing, welcome to being 18! You're at the beginning of everything, whether it's career, love, whatever. In other words, it's totally normal.

The Buddhists have a great saying: "you can have whatever you want; you just don't know what you want." Which is to say, figuring out what makes you happy is a process. So, it's natural that you would feel something is missing. The point is the process of finding out what you want (out of your job, love life, ways of expressing yourself, etc).

Maybe you want to paint, write, act, drive race cars, open a coffee shop, go to India, build furniture, whatever. Just start exploring. You'll find it.

Does that make sense?