1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting Guys

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JamesD, Jun 12, 2011.

1. JamesD

So, even though I came out to my wife a few years ago, I haven't really done much to get out and meet guys (socially - I'm not looking to hook up). I sort of feel like I'm still alone on an island. The few friends that know have been supportive but...

Actually, on a funny note - one of my friends has "a" gay friend and since I came out they thought it would be great to set us up on a blind date. Turns out he's about 60 and likes 20 somethings. I'm not into 60 year olds. We have nothing in common except...? ding ding ding we're both gay. So in my friend's mind OF COURSE we'd want to go on a date together...ugh.

Anyway, any thoughts on meeting other gay guys (clubs, sports, groups, support groups? IDK) I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Thanks,

James

2. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the clubs you will usually meet whores.... sorry for putting it so bluntly but it is a fact. only go to clubs if you already have some one. Though some of these whores may hold the key to the right guy you be might looking for.

I would suggest the beach... you guys in the US is now in sprint/summer time. The sports field is also a good place to start. Support Group? well we don;t have anything like that here in Nam, besides cancer and abusers and acahol support groups that is it. I live in a back water 3rd world country so there is not much of anything here. We had one asume gay club, but was closed due to sum drug related problems. There are a few Gay shebees (a bar build inside a shack in the informal settlement areas) but going there is to realy risk your life!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

Um... how much money does the 60 year old have? :lol:

Well, it is always interesting and fun when friends try to introduce you to someone.

I think one good way to meet other guys is to join perhaps a support group for men. For example, where I live, there is a men social coffee group, which meets once a week. Trying to join a support group such as PFLAG or a local support group could be another avenue to meet and get to know others. Often times support groups will have some social component as well, allowing you to meet members of the group outside of the group meetings as well.

There are also activity groups for hiking, camping, nature outings, biking, etc... for gay men. If that interests you, maybe try finding an activity group in Boston or near where you live.

Hope this helps a bit!

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ Mirko pretty much nailed it, but your story about your friend tried to hook you up reminded me of this scene on Happy Endings (hilarious show btw :slight_smile:)

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't agree with thylvin's characterization of clubs but I will say that, based on my own experiences and those of the people I am friends with, it is generally true that one is less likely to find people that are quality relationship material in a club than elsewhere.

Depending on where you live, I often suggest gay social groups... in many parts of the country there are potluck clubs, hiking groups, book clubs, and events like that organized for gay men where people (singles and couples) can go to hang out and enjoy the company of other gay men. If you find the right groups, they aren't "meat markets" at all and can be really fun.

I've also heard very positive things about one dating site in particular (PM me and I can send you info); more than the other dating sites, it seems to do a lot to try and match people based on interests, personality, and so forth, and seems remarkably adept at separating out who would be good as a potential friend vs. romantic partner. I don't have any personal experience with it, but one of my friends (who is very *not* into hookups) has said it's the best he's found so far.