1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I attract a lot of older men and it's a little weird for me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Mind Freak

I made a profile on a gay dating/chat/hookup site and I get a lot of response from guys well men in there late 20s to late 40s. Some of them seem like real cool guys and we have good conversation but some are a little creepy so I stop talking to them. Lol.

I kind of feel like flirting with them is "wrong" or a waste of time because of the age difference but after getting along well with some of them I'm starting to feel a bit better about it. So what do you guys think about that?

And another thing, what do you think it is about me that draws more older men than people my age?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to burst your bubble, but it's the fact that you're 18 that's drawing older men to you, and probably not much else. Every gay male above the age of 15 (and, sadly, many below) that I've spoken to has been hit on, sometimes really aggressively, by guys in their 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond. Many have told me that certain sites have become unusable for them simply because every time they log on, they get hit on by a million older guys.

The "age is just a number" choir will no doubt show up soon to talk about why there's nothing wrong with it, but here's why I don't agree with them:

First, think about it: You're 18. You're just barely an adult, finding yourself. What is an emotionally healthy person 25 or 30 or 40 or 50 going to see in a relationship with someone 18? The relationship is going to be inherently imbalanced; the older person will have more money, more life experience, more relationship experience... and, being cynical, will have carefully refined his ability to manipulate you and tell you exactly what you want to hear to make you fall in love with him.

These guys, regardless with what they're telling you, aren't in love with *you* in particular; they are in love with someone who is 18. (A lot of them would be in love with someone 14 or 15 if that was legal, and many of them will have hooked up with people that young, though few will admit it. There's another thread on the "new posts" page of EC right now talking specifically about that.) The creepy ones just haven't learned how to manipulate young people. The "cool" ones have.

I don't mean to be harsh, but really... you're 18, and if you want an emotionally healthy relationship, you should be with someone around your age (+/- 2 or 3 years). It will be a more balanced relationship, it will be emotionally healthier, and it's far less likely that you'll get exploited, emotionally or physically.

I can tell you horror stories if you want, but... I think it's safe to say you'll be much, much happier in the long run if you put your energy into finding someone your own age.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are definitely some who specifically "hunt" for young, inexperienced guys specifically feeling such guys are more likely to not realize/recognize that they're not such a great catch. There are some older guys who just enjoy younger guys - maybe because being attractive to them makes them feel attractive in turn, or because they enjoy the "showing them the ropes" aspect of it, or because they just enjoy the playful banter. Your story about being hit on by a majority of older guys certainly isn't unusual.

What should you do? Keep things where they are, if you're comfortable there. If you want more interaction with more younger guys, take more initiative and start more conversations. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hahaha gross! flirt with them then leave em hanging XD. but don't give too much info, your 18 you don't want a 40 year old man knocking at your door hahaha

5. Mogget

Don't even flirt with them. Any indication that you're interested can lead to them taking it way too far.

6. Meropspusillus

They may be creeps, but there isn't any need to be a jerk yourself.

7. JamesD

On most dating sites can't you filter out who can contact you by their age? If it bothers you that much, maybe you could consider using the filters.

Also, I largely agree with what Chip said. I suppose there are some situations where I wouldn't looks askance at such a large age difference, but those are few and far between.

8. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i didnt mean to offend....basically making a joke...he obviously shouldn't even be talking to 40 year olds if hes 18 but it's up to him really. i don't think hes gonna ever try to meet them ya know?

9. Mind Freak

I totally understand what Chip is saying about some maybe trying to take advantage of a young guy, but I don't think that's always the case you know? And anyway I'm a pretty strong willed person, not saying I'm invincible but I'm not one to buckle easily either. I'll probably still talk to them but I'll be sure to tread softly and look for red flags that may appear. I don't think a relationship with someone twice my age would work but it could be fun in the meantime and who knows I could even meet someone to like help me out or give me advice or something. I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket though. :slight_smile:

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah....on dating websites....the older crowd go after the younger. Frankly it's the same even straight wise....

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, based on the people I've talked to, it's only about 99% of the time :wink:

Just be very, very careful, because with the good ones, the red flags will be really hard to spot. No offense, but the whole reason creepers succeed is because 18 year olds (or 15 year olds, or 21 year olds) think they have it more on the ball than they actually do.

Help and advice is generally the LAST thing you want to seek from someone seeking you out on a dating site. That's what places like EC are for :slight_smile:

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Help and advice is generally the LAST thing you want to seek from someone seeking you out on a dating site. That's what places like EC are for.

This. A hundred times this. It's not that people on dating sites are incapable of giving advice. But remember - they're there specifically to meet up romantically/physically with another guy. They've got a specific agenda. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I agree with what has been said above by others. Be careful when you approach them or talk with them. I am not saying that older guys are creepers but what I am saying is that there are older guys who will go after younger guys, such as yourself, because they feel that younger guys can be 'easily convinced'.

I think it is fine if you are drawn to older guys. We all have our own preferences. That said, you kinda want to be careful because if you do hit it off with someone who is older the power balance and influence in that relationship can be very one sided, where the older partner dominates the relationship, and only his needs are met. You might want to have an age difference that is not too large.

I agree with Chip though, that the last thing you want to be asking someone on a dating site is about advice or asking for help.

14. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make sure you pick who you want to be with rather than let them pick you.

15. roberthere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, does age really matter? Ultimately, you have to be happy whoever you are with.. Its all about your mind. If you feel good about it, go ahead..

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Hi, does age really matter?

It's less a matter of age and more a matter of experience. As said above, it's very common for some older guys to flock towards the young ones, hoping that the young ones' inexperience will make it easier for them to take advantage of. It's a pitfall we hope the OP can avoid.

Lex

17. Mind Freak

Well! I'm talking to 2 guys in their mid to early 30s. They're reallly sweet to me. Could be a ploy but I like to think that they're genuine. I'm always on my toes obviously! I just thought I would update y'all. :slight_smile:

#17 Mind Freak, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  18. IanGallagher

I've been hit on, on a certain gay phone app, by a number of guys in their late 30s and 40s. It creeps me out too dude. I personally hit on guys between 19 and 25 (just turned 23) because I relate more to guys within my age range. I can't even begin to fathom going younger than that, guys or girls. So really old guys scare me too. They're old enough to be my Dad! What can they get from that? Of course, it's only been very forward sexual gestures...

I will say one thing though, since you're bi, at least we know what girls go through. Guys can be pigs. Very straight forward pigs lol. Heard girls go through the exact same experiences I have now. Gives us perspective. One of the very strong benefits of being bi.

#18 IanGallagher, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely, positively, guarantee you that they want in your pants. And I absolutely, positively, guarantee that they are not emotionally healthy if they want to be with someone 13 to 18 years younger than they are. So everything said above still applies.

But... after all that everyone's said, if that's what you want... go for it.

20. 2ugly2bgay2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some older gay men are very youthful looking though because they spend a lot of time in the gym. Maybe you shouldn't write them off so quickly.