1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So frustrated with my job

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by flymetothemoon, Jun 13, 2011.

1. flymetothemoon

So I currently work for a daycare center with toddlers who are around 2 years old, and I love the kids but have had my fair share of problems with the administration and some of the staff. Typically when I have issues with the staff I just let them go because of the issues I've seen with the administration (anything you tell them gets out and everyone knows what you said).

However, this last issue with staff I had to say something. A girl who was an assistant was talking about the little boys who were playing dress up and were carrying around purses. She said something along the lines of parents are always telling her how their kids need to be allowed to play dress up because it's important to have their imagination, and she just wants to say oh yeah, well why don't you imagine your kid as a fag. This was said in front of ME (and she KNOWS about the fact that I'm with a girl), AND the KIDS in the classroom. So I went to the administration and told them about what was said. I was told they would take care of it.

Now, they did fire her because this apparently wasn't her first offense of saying inappropriate things in front of the kids, but they also decided to tell her that I was the one who said something, and she told everyone else I work with. And now EVERYONE is going behind my back talking about how I got her fired and all of this stuff.

I just want to be able to leave there because it's such a hostile environment, but I'm student teaching in the fall so I only need a job from now until the end of August, and it's super hard to find anyone who will take me for that amount of time. Ugh.

Sorry for how long this is, mostly I just needed to vent. But if anyone has suggestions for anyone that might be willing to hire for that short of an amount of time, I'm open to ideas.

2. Fizzle

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hostile work environments are hard, especially ones in which staff needs to work together. My only suggestion is to spend the remaining time there focusing your energy on creating a positive experience for the kids and getting ready to student teach. Easier said than done, but it's worth keeping in mind. After you're done working at the daycare you will be done with that staff and hostile environment. Good Luck!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it was appropriate that you brought your concerns to the attention of the administration. Unfortunately, the administration didn't handle it all that professionally because they should not have mentioned your name.

I don't know what the hierarchy is at your workplace, but I would suggest that you talk to your supervisor about this issue. Your supervisor and/or the administration (if they care about the work environment and what is going on at the daycare) should be able to put to an end to the 'behind the back' talking.

I would try talking to the administration first. Depending on your relationship with your co-workers, I would also try talking to the people who are talking behind your back and let them know as to how you feel and the fact that you acted because you felt you needed to. Sometimes, talking to the people directly in a professional and calm way, can have a positive impact/outcome and some might be actually willing to change their attitude.

As hard as the decision might be, and failing of getting through to the administration and your co-workers, I would suggest that you serve your notice with a clear reasoning, and keep a copy of it. However, I would think about it carefully because (and as you have said) it is going to be hard to find another job in a daycare.

However that leads me to have a couple of questions:
    Do you need this particular job for going back to student teaching in the fall?
    What is your standing with the administration? If you would ask them for a reference letter, would they a) be willing to provide you with a reference, and b) would it be a reference that you could count on?

4. flymetothemoon

Mirko, no I don't need the job to be able to student teach. Student teaching goes through my college and doesn't depend on my work situation at all. I'm actually not allowed to work while I student teach, so that's why I'd have a hard time finding another job. Student teaching essentially means that from September-December I go to work in a school every day just like the regular teacher and I grade papers and lesson plan and teach plus do my school work, but I get no pay for it. I actually pay to do it in that I have to pay for the course work that student teaching counts for at my college.

The problem with talking to the administration (the director or assistant director) is that this is not the first instance of whatever anyone says to them getting out. I've seen it both in things getting out to me that shouldn't have and in things I've brought to them getting out to others. As far as getting a reference, I could do so now, so I went today to open a credential file at my college and I'm going to get a reference from both of them before I put in my two weeks notice. That way it will stay on file at my college and I'll be able to get it in the future without needing to contact them should they get upset if I decide I can't deal with the hostile work environment.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Well, if you don't need the job and it causes you frustration and you are finding yourself in a hostile environment, then maybe it is time that you give your current employment another thought.

Given that you would not have to contact them again at some future point, I think getting a reference from them before giving them a two weeks notice is a good plan.

As for getting another job over the rest of the summer, maybe try looking into short term positions (if available). They might not be what you were hoping and looking for but they will at least provide you with some employment until you start school again. If you are flexible in what kind of jobs and positions are willing to apply for and take, it might open up a few job fields. How would you feel about applying as a tutor for example? Perhaps you could also look into offering learning lessons or support to students who attend summer school (just a couple of ideas)....