1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two for 1! Sneaking piercings and coming out to your future roommate.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Mind Freak

The two topics are totally unrelated but I wanted to get feedback on both subjects without making two threads.

Topic 1: Hip piercings

I've wanted to get my hips pierced for a couple years but I haven't yet for a couple reasons. I wasn't old enough and I have a conservative family. But now that I am old enough I was thinking of just getting the piercings and keeping it hush hush. I mean they would be covered by my shirt so i should be in the clear. What do y'all think. And granted sneaking around isn't particularly mature but sometimes it just be like that. Haha.

Topic 2: Roommates

I'm going off to college soon and with college comes dorms and roommates. Well I am trying to figure out when they appropriate time to give him the heads up about liking dudes would be. Should I tell him right off the bat on move in day? Build a friendship and then tell him. Or just let him find out when it comes up. I haven't a clue. Any suggestions?

2. Aya McCabre

I assume by hip piercings you mean surface piercings? This doesn't answer your question but there's a lot of research you'll need to do about jewelery, method etc before you get them. Surface piercings can reject very easily, so I guess you need to do some research on how to look after hip piercings specifically. Snagging on clothing is generally bad, so if there's any evidence that snagging is a common problem then you might want to wait until you don't have to hide them. Snagging hurts and it would suck to have that happen and not be able to fix it straight away. (For the record, snagging hurts even more when you try to walk and it's still tangled. I wouldn't recommend it.)
    You would also need to think about how to keep them clean without anyone seeing them - they'll need to be soaked more often than most people shower, so just doing it when you wash isn't the best plan.
    So yeah.... lots of research into the practicalities of healing the piercings should answer that question for you. And do look up methods and jewelery.... the cheapest methods with the most versatile jewelery are the ones that reject the most easily, but they're used by a lot of shops. Even if you decide to go with one of those potions, make sure you know what you're doing. And look up what rejection looks like in the early stages.... it's a little freaky when you see shock pics of it but if you learn to recognise it and remove the jewelery as soon as it starts then you can minimise scarring. Not to freak you out but it sounds like a fairly high movement area so rejection is quite likely to happen at some stage. Surface piercings are rarely permanent.
    Wow.... lots of text. Hope that gives you a place to start.

As for your second question, do you have a choice about who you live with? I find it's best to keep it quiet if there's no choice. When I was in a hall I was pretty quiet about it because I still had to live with those people even if they took it badly. Now that I'm flatting and we all have a choice about who we live with I plan to put it out there right at the start. I haven't actually lived with people I didn't know before moving in with them yet but my friend and I are looking for flatmates for next year and we plan to put it in the advert to scare off the homophobes.
    Hope that helps....

3. Danny19

hey dude..

soo topic 1. honestly i dont get the point of those. they are weird to me. everytime i see them on someone i feel like ouch lol.. in my opinion you shouldnt get em.. i always wanted a lip piercing and i got one after i was like okay now what. it was pointless, expensive, and after i got it when i would eat it would be hard and painful. after 3 months having it i got tired of it. i lost the ring and i didnt wear it again. now i gave an ugly scar on my face.. ugh. anyways that was my experience maybe u will like it and if you dont at least no one would see the scars..

ok now topic 2. i thinks that you should wait until you have a friendship with the guy. if you bring it up on the first day i feel like it would be weird. if he doesnt ask just tell him when you feel is right or when you have a good friendship and trust him. you know?

i feel like i dont make sense. but whatever hope you understand me :slight_smile: just my 2 cents

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I was you, I would mention that I liked guys when they ask what I think about a certain girl or something.

5. theWorldisYours

I'm also moving into a new roommate situation in college. I always thought that I would mention it before move in, and after a few e-mails to get to know each other. I have no experience with this, but I think this method could avoid any potential problems. I would mention that I'm gay, it's not a big deal, and if he has a problem with it we can work together to fix it. Even possibly find a new room if it's going to avoid tension.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. This is definitely the best solution, assuming that you have enough time to make contact with them and explain the situation etc.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I have no idea about piercings, so I'll leave that for someone else like Aya :slight_smile:

Now to the second point.

If you have the option to change your roommate or room later on, then you have two options. You can either tell him from the very beginning (however you want to do that), and avoid any further problems, or you can build a friendship and then come out to him.

The only difference is that, with the second option, you give yourself a "cushion" in case your roommate turns out to be a homophobe and with the hopes that you can "educate" him and show him that being gay/bi doesn't change anything. That being said, no one guarantees you that you will be able to change his mind on the matter.

It all really depends on what you are willing to deal with or want to do.

If you aren't able to change your roommate or dorm, though, then you should definitely tell him from the very beginning.

Best of luck :slight_smile: