1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question!??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danny19, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Danny19

soo i cant sleep so i decided to ask this now. I really really wanna go places. like road trips or on a cruise..or to cancun, new york.. well you get the point... however i dont wanna go alone. i know for sure my mom will let me. at least i think..hhmm. anyways i want my best friend to go. but her parents have issues in letting her go places like that. anywhere to far from the city is bad. Her parents know me and they like me. but i know they can be strict with my friend. what do you guys suggest i do and something she could do so she could go? sometimes she doesnt even bother asking cuz she knows the answer. and when they say no she knows there is no point in begging.. this gets me frustrated cuz me and another friend had planned a roadtrip but they wont let her..

so what should we do? suggestions? thanks to all. i feel like this is a silly question to ask here..

2. Joe9813

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, if you're relatively close to her parents, you could go and ask them yourself and give them all the information they need. Where you're going, where you're staying, phone numbers, when you're going, and how many days you'll be gone. If you come with all that information, her parents might cut her some slack. The fact that you go and ask them yourself might speak well of you, and might get them to trust you even more.

That's from my experience, as some of my friends (mostly girls) have parents like that, and I found that it works to speak to them myself and answer all of their questions.

Other than that, well... I guess that's all I've got as advice! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Jim1454

You might need to find other friends for travelling. If she wants to go badly enough, she'll ask. If she can't be bothered asking, she might not want to go.

Alternatively, you might want to start small. Go on a day trip. Then an overnight trip for one night. When those go well and you and your friend demonstrate that you're responsible, the scope of the trips can grow.

4. Danny19

Joe9813- hmm thats a good idea.. im not close to them. but the mom is really nice with me and she knows im gay. the dad is nice, he doesnt know about me and i just feel awkward with him..

jim1454- i know she wants to go for sure. i liked the idea about having a one day trip and just going from there

5. Jim1454

That's certaily what I'd want to see from my own kids. We don't keep them safe growing up only to then set them loose and have them go sky diving, mountain climbing, and scuba diving on their first excursion on their own. They go to the corner store and back. And when that goes well, we go from there.

6. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

San Diego zoo, they have pandas! And it could probably be a daytrip from LA.

7. Colosses

Colosses Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ............kid nap hear...:lol:....jk idk but i don't like just siting in a desk all day i wont to thraval so i git where u r coming from in a whey...

8. Gumtree

Parents fear the unknown, which is exactly what a 'roadtrip' is filled with when they send their children off into the world alone.

As others have said, communication with her parents would work wonders.

The best way to get someone to expand their boundaries, is to respect and acknowledge where they are in the first place.

So instead of outright asking them "Can I take your daughter away to XXX for XX many days.", try "I was thinking of going on a Road-trip and wanted your daughter to come, what kind of places would you feel comfortable us going?". You can then start making suggestions as to where and how long yourself.

#8 Gumtree, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011