1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to 2 friends, now stuck

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chef8705, Jun 14, 2011.

1. chef8705

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone,

So I've been wanting to come out for the last few months but I just haven't been able to work up the courage to do it. I picked which two friends I was going to tell first and actually met with them a few times specifically to tell them but just couldn't go through with it. Finally a few weeks ago it kinda came up in conversation and I told them the truth. They took it really well and I'm glad I finally have a few people I can talk to.

I want to tell more of my friends and family but I just can't find the confidence to do it. Everyday I tell myself I'll do it tomorrow and then I find some excuse not to.

On top of that, the stress from all of this has gotten unbearable. There are frequently times I feel like I can't breathe and get sick to my stomach. If I can't get the stress under control in a day or two I'm going to have to go to the doctor.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Artemicion

Firstly hello and welcome to EC! and congratulations on coming out to your friends!

Now for my advice which...is really up to you to decide if it's any good:

1. Slow down!! Breathe...There's no need to rush things. You must first be confortable with yourself (to a degree I guess) before you can move forward and come out.
    2. Choosing a time to come out is important, but choosing the right person to come out to is more important I think. So, in the case for you, if you're not confortable with certain people then don't sweat it. You shouldn't have to worry about it everyday, every time else it's super stressful. I've been there done that...I'm still in process coming out myself.
    3. So far what methods have tried coming out to people? In-person? Online? Note? etc. Pick a method that you feel confortable doing but still gets the message across. Well of course unless you feel that it's important that you tell them in-person then you might have to drop some hints time to time. Personally, I find it socially awkward to say it straight-up.

hrm...that's all i can think up for now, i'm sure someone else would drop by and have better advice. Good luck! (*hug*).

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out can be very stressful indeed but try to take it a little slower. You dont have to tell everyone at once! You'll get there in the end regardless.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

Like people have suggested already, breathe and relax a bit. Instead of trying to get everyone out of the way right away take your time and enjoy the ride.

You finally came out to your two friends so be proud of yourself, but also enjoy it. Give yourself time to get used to the idea of you being out now and people knowing. For example, maybe you can talk more about it with one of your friends. The other thing that you could do is to stick around here a bit and talk to other members who you don't have to worry about coming out to :slight_smile:

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

5. The Dudeh

The Dudeh Guest

Firstly, congrats on telling two friends!

I'm like you and I am stuck as well. It's definitely hard to tell other people but if you know you trust them, you can tell them. Family members are really hard to tell and so I've still not told any but right now all you need to do is be yourself around your friends that know, talk to them about any issues and problems and when you feel confident enough, tell more people :slight_smile:

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust me, it gets a lot easier the more people you tell.

I only have to tell my parents (who i don't live with), so i'm out to everyone else in the world. I don't think about coming out that much anymore, unless it's to my parents.

Take your time, come out when you're comfortable, but know that the further you get in the process the easier it gets. There's no rush though. It's probably easier in the long run to come out earlier, but if you're not ready, then you're not ready. I'm 22 and I'm not out to my parents! I'll tell them eventually but I didn't feel ready before now (telling them soon).

So don't stress. If that's how it's making you feel, then you're not ready. I used to be that way too, but I'v found that now if I think about coming out around my parents, it takes effort to prevent myself from just blurting out "I'm gay"