1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About This Job...sounds suspicious...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whiterosebeka, Jun 16, 2011.

1. whiterosebeka

So i had this job interview today, with Aurora Advertising. Thing is, the building had no sign stating it was Aurora, i had to call to know which suite they were in. when i walked in, there was hardly any furniture and no paintings on the walls, no photography nothing, it was plain. there was a little tiny desk in the reception area with a computer on it. when she took me into another room to interview me, there was nothing but a tiny desk and a chair for her and one for me. there was no computer on the desk, no papers nothing. it was clean with nothing on it. and i keep tryin to find info on the internet about the job, but it only gives me options to apply for the job. so there is no company website...
    now, during the interview, she told me about the job. we'd be going around, inspecting car windows seeing if there is any cracks in them. if there is, then we make a call to an insurance agency (that they work with i forgot the name) and then we see if its free or something and then it'll be replaced. she never mentioned pay or what not, she only mentioned that i could move up on the ladder rather quickly. and that they were looking for someone to move up into management in about four to six months.
    should i trust it? i have to go back tomorrow at ten thirty...so please, quick answers!

2. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seems VERY sketchy. What does inspecting car windows have to do with Advertising? XD

3. whiterosebeka

RIGHT! that was my thought exactly. i thought it was either, i'm going to be making telemarketing calls (cuz thats what my mom said) or making advertisements....not inspecting car windows

4. Ecap1

Well, with the office situation, no furnitures and what not doesn't necessarily mean scam. I've been to a lot of offices that you would not even think was an office if it bit you in the butt. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

But the window thing...idk, sounds weird to me. Just be careful because if the owner sees you inspecting their window, it might look like you're trying to see what it's inside and therefore look like a thief and God knows what they might do :| Good luck!

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2011 at 08:16 PM ----------

Sorry for the typos. I am so tired.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'd suggest you look for another job that you can actually include on your resume. From what you have said, you don't seem to be too comfortable with it. If you already have your doubts and questions about the job itself, I think your time would be better spent finding something else and where you can feel confident that it is not a scam.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a bunch of fly-by-night places that are trying to cash in on windshield crack repairs. Insurance companies will pay $50 or $75 for a crack repair because it's cheaper than replacing a windshield, so all these fly-by-night companies pop up, give people an hour's instruction on how to do the crack repair (which, to do it well, requires more training, and a lot of practice) and pay them $10 or something for each crack they repair, and then bill the insurance company $75.

The insurance companies hate them, they invariably get shut down, and move somewhere else.

I'd say, stay away.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can't even find information about them or anything like that, I really think it's a scam. You'd be better off to continue applying. I dealt with something similar called Vector Marketing in my city, and ours was to sell Cutco Cutlery. Basically while that is what they sell, it got more and more suspicious. I mean they told me how it's all based on referrals, and it's just like, okay and what if no one refers you? Well then you're kinda without money. I really would say go find a job that would be more stable.

Good luck and sorry that it didn't work out, but that's how these companies work. They simply have like an "Apply" on their website or on a job website, to make it sound good. Next thing you know they call you, which while you may think "oh well it's like any other job that calls you" they sound all too eager to hire you. Heck with my Vector experience, after you apply it tells you to call them, but I decided not to because it seemed so suspicious. Next thing I know they call me.

So yeah like I said, don't do it, and just politely tell them you were offered another job somewhere else that you would be starting pretty much in the next day or two. It keeps them thinking at least you're polite, but at the same time lets them know you're not interested.

8. thedylan

wow this sounds straight up sketch magee to me

9. Jagster

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with pretty much anybody else here. Don't go for it. If a business can't make its office look nice, it just isn't worth it.

10. starbucksshoote

I enjoy how they tacked on "advertising" because it sounds better than, say, "walk up and down streets all day looking for broken windshields".

I'd suggest that they go with "solutions" because that's almost as good and if you squinted at it, you might say that your company does provide a solution.

Don't work there - find a better job :slight_smile:

11. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister got a job distributing fliers for an ad company with cash in hand payment based on how many customers she brought in. They payed her for two months and then told her she wouldn't get payed at the end of the third month of work because they claimed she hadn't brought anyone in despite working all day (and a lot of the night) 6 days a week. When she tried to find out more about the company to complain she couldn't and when she went back to the office to do it in person a week later they'd backed up.

I'd say if you have an suspicions then don't do it.

12. SMiNKLe

Out Status:
    All but family
    Ever watch that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Robert gets "discovered" as a male model? Then after paying like $2000 for a photoshoot he finds out it was a con job. Stay away from places that give you that gut feeling and be knowledgeable about signs of a scam so you can be safe. :slight_smile:
    As for this specific situation, I agree with everyone above me.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pleeease tell me all they took from her was her time, and not money.

14. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She never game them any money she just wen't round peoples houses distributing fliers for events and companies and if people uses the discount coads on her fliers she got commission. She got quite low results for the amount of time she spent in the first 2 months and then 3rd month they just said she didn't bring anyone in.