1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quit my Job

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fiender, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Fiender

I've been an overnight cashier at walmart for the last year. This was my first job, and it is the only job experience that I have.

Now, last night three coworkers came to my register on their brake. It's this couple and some chick they hang out with. The guy always throws his money down on my register rather than hand it to me. This would be annoying once or twice, but he does it EVERY NIGHT, so I just started getting his change and his receipt and setting it aside, making him pick it up. I did this last night, and they started saying "Oh, that's great customer service right there" and such. After I rang him out, I rang the girls' stuff up, (it was bunched together), but apparently it was separate and they start bitching about that too.

At this point I was about ready to scream at them, but there was another customer in line (not an employee) so I didn't bother. Then later, a couple more associates came through my line, bought shit, all while chatting with each other and didn't say a word to me. I leave my register to go work on my stock, and I guess a customer came up that I didn't see. THEN the other associates decide to talk to me and tell me about the customer, like the only time they can say a word to me is when the job demanded it.

As sad as it sounds, this job was the only time I left the house and talked to people, i.e. it was the extent of my social life. I just thought to myself "WOW, this is my social life? People who don't talk to me, except to tell me that I can't do my job?" So I walked out. I just went out back, clocked out, got my crap out of my locker, called for a ride and left. Didn't talk to anyone at all.

Now, I am not a very social person in general so when coworkers or customers try to talk to me, I am usually somewhat dismissive. Depends on the person and my mood. There were a few people I chatted with occasionally, but it's like they stopped bothering with me; sometimes I would talk, sometimes I wouldn't, why should they bother with me when there are plenty of people who WOULD talk to them.

And now I'm regretting leaving. I have plenty of money saved up, believe me, and I don't have a car or my own place so no bills. It's just that I don't have a breadth of experience nor any degrees or particular skills. I could get another job, but only one that paid less and is as bad or worse. I am not particularly interested in returning to a retail position either :dry:

So um, opinions, advice? Lemons? :confused:

2. starbucksshoote

Well, have you given thought to a long-term plan? You're 19, and you have some money saved up - have you thought about some sort of post-secondary education?

I'm a social person, so haven't really encountered the problems you have, but I have met people who aren't naturally social people. They made the effort to talk to other people and have found friendships because of it. While some of your former co-workers don't sound that great, it might require some effort on your part to reach out and engage with new friends.

Without some education or in-demand skillset, you are rather stuck between service sector or labour jobs - although what you might consider doing is offering to do an unpaid internship in an industry you are interested.

Good luck!

3. Fiender

Colleges and universities are not something I am considering at this point in my life. I have made the efforts in the past to talk to people but the problem is just the effort required with it, and with a lot of these people, I just dont feel like it's worth it.

As far as my long-term plan, I have a couple of unpublished manuscripts that I am working on, hopefully something will become of them.