1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating Progression Question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by higby442, Jun 18, 2011.

1. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone, just looking for a quick bit of advice. I have been recently doing the online dating thing, and after 4 months or so its finally clicking. I have met someone I am definitely interested in. We have done the emails, and text messages for a few weeks and recently he gave me his number.

My question is, I was going to give him a call and see if he wanted to get together for coffee or lunch just to meet and see if we click in person as well as online. Is this the right time do you think? One of my friends suggested talking on the phone for a while. But, I dont want to get stuck in just electronic conversation you know? I do much better in person. Just wanted your advice to see if I am jumping the gun.

Thanks for the help!

2. TraceElement

Have you been an actual couple/chatting for 4 months or have you been on the site for 4 months?

3. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been on the site 4 months, been chatting with this guy for about 3.5 weeks.

4. TheJoker

If you don't have security concerns about meeting with someone you don't know in reallife... i think you can ask him. At worst,if he is interested in you, he could say its quite early to meet but still that makes real meeting faster.

Personal opinion, be direct and fast.It always work.

5. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to do that. I am totally fine if he's not ready to meet in person yet too. I can wait. I just want to put it out there as I am afraid I will miss my chance.

6. Poyo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, if you've been chatting for 3.5 weeks you're definitely good to suggest a face-to-face meeting. Worst case scenario is he'll let you know if he's not ready, but if he wasn't interested he probably wouldn't have talked to you for nearly a month now :slight_smile: Go for it!

7. DarkClarity

I say go for it but, tell someone where your going so someone knows exactly where you are or if you can, bring a friend along.

I hope it goes well. :slight_smile:

8. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask him to meet somewhere public where you'll both be comfortable. 3.5 weeks is mor than enough time online. I'd say ask him online, as that's how you know eachother best. If you do better in person, he'll see that when he meets you. Personally, I think talking on the phone is really awkward. In text we can just get information across, and in person we can show the best of our speaking ability, including body language. On the phone you miss out on half of a conversation and things can get confusing and muddled. Phone calls are somewhat a way of the past. There are faster and more efficient means of communication. Phones just make things weird sometimes.