1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overreacting?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Poyo, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Poyo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get some feedback on whether or not I'm overreacting about something. I found out on Monday that I was getting a pretty significant promotion at work. I've only been with this company for 5 months, and I was picked over people who've been there for years. I'm still pretty new to my professional career, so this is also my first "real" promotion. Needless to say, I was pretty stoked about the whole thing. I told my friends and heard back from everyone, except for one person. The person that I haven't heard back from is one of my closest friends, and was actually the first person I called. This was Monday, it's now Saturday, and I still haven't heard from this person. Is it wrong that my feelings are a little hurt over this? I left a message on Monday, never heard back, and when I called back on Wednesday and left another message I got a snippy "dude, fucking relax" text message response (it's not like I left a hysterical message either, I said "hey, I wanna tell you about this, give me a call").

This is a person that I've always gone out of my way for too, which I guess is why I'm upset about it. I've always made time for them, and during the summer they're super into their softball team that they're on, so I drag my ass out of bed on Sunday mornings at 6am so I can go to their games...but they can't spare ten minutes to call me back? This is all kind of out of character, so I keep telling myself that something is obviously going on, but I'm still kind of angry/hurt over the whole thing and don't really know what to do going forward. I'm not a dramatic person and I hate, hate, hate stuff like this, which is why I'm a bit thrown. If it was some random acquaintance or former coworker I wouldn't care, but this is someone who's supposed to be one of my best friends and knows how hard I've worked. Am I crazy for having my feelings hurt over this?

2. DarkClarity

I wouldn't say your overreacting. Like you said there's probably something going on and that's why your friend might be too busy or frustrated to talk to you. Don't worry about about. You got a promotion and that awesome. Don't let something like this bring you down.

Does something like this happen often? You say you go out of your way to do stuff for them. How does your friend treat you back?

3. Poyo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, stuff like this doesn't happen often with this person, which is why it threw me. Thanks for the feedback!

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I think its understandable to feel they way you do about it, its only natural to be disappointed or upset, I think as it is out of character for the person to react like this you should wait and see whats really going on before making a judgement.

5. Ben

Ben

Yeah, it's understandable why you might feel a bit down. But you don't know the reason for this person being a bit snippy—they might be annoyed that they don't have a job/aren't getting promoted, having a tough time at home, angry at their exams, you rang them when they were napping etc.
    Its's probably just best to leave it for a while, they might apologise and let you know why they were acting funny eventually, or you could ask them how they're doing. There's most likely an innocent explanation.

6. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I agree with the above post, the only thing I would add is that maybe this person is affiliated with the job or knows someone who didn't get a promotion. Sounds doubtful, but idk.

congrats tho on the promotion!

7. Poyo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I talked to my friend (or texted, at least) and they basically said they were just busy. He's kind of your staqndard straight guy so I'm guessing the thought just never crossed his mind. I'm just goijg to assume it wasn't personal and move on. I might not be so quick to go out of my way from here on out though.

8. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Sounds fair enough. Don't worry too much :slight_smile: