1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A stupid question...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Salazar, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Salazar

I know it's going to sound INCREDIBLY stupid, but can gay people be not camp? I'm not camp, and I don't actually know any gay people, but whenever I do see gay people, they're always REALLY CAMP. This said, I'm not camp, and if I'm not, what's to say others are?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is not a stupid question at all. I think it's totally fine either way. :slight_smile:

You might want to check out the Camp Guys thread in the anon section.

3. Ridiculous

There are definitely lots of gay males that aren't 'camp' and lots of gay females that aren't 'butch'.

The only reason it may seem like we are all stereotypically camp/butch is that these are the ones you notice; all of the others don't stand out and you don't conclude they are gay.

Most of those people are great though, don't write them off just because they are camp.

4. Salazar

Thanks guys, both great answers :slight_smile:

5. Just Passing

I'm not camp on the whole (in fact I'm rather straight acting 95% of the time), so it is possible for a gay guy to not be camp and a lesbian woman to not be butch. Those personalities are true in some cases, but are often portrayed as stereotypes in the media or overplayed, so give the overall impression to the majority that is what the gay community is like.