1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i being hypocritical?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ICTOAUN, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ICTOAUN

hi. im new here.
    so i have a question, and maybe u guys can help me out..
    im confused because sometimes when i see homosexuals being affectionate i get a weird feeling. it feels, alien to me. almost like i shouldnt be seeing it. like it isnt right or something.
    the thing is, im a lesbian (in the closet). and when im with my girlfriend everything feels right. i dont feel weird or like i shouldnt be doing it. i love her.
    am i being hypocritical? i dont want to be grossed out when i see homosexuals being intimate with one another. :bang: am i weird? does anyone else feel this way?
    just kind of confused i guess :eusa_doh:

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've been socially conditioned to feel that way.

The important thing is that you recognise that these feelings are not something to be proud of.

My guess is that you'll get over this at some point.

3. DarkClarity

I don't think so.

Are you sure you just don't like public displays of affection? When I see a couple kissing in public, I just think "get a room". If you just don't like public displays of affection the I'd wouldn't worry.

"when i see homosexuals being affectionate i get a weird feeling. it feels, alien to me. almost like i shouldnt be seeing it. like it isnt right or something."

As Corporal Sparks said, society generally looks down on that and you've been brought up to think it's abnormal but, in time you won't feel arkward about it.

4. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

I agree with DarkClarity. I extremely dislike public displays of emotion past holding hands. However, this is personal preference and each person has their own views on what should be done and where it should be done.

For example, I don't believe that people should kiss in public unless it's a small peck to say goodbye. Other than that, to quote him, "get a room."

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it depends. Let's say you were watching a TV show or a movie, and it depicted a gay couple being affectionate, but in private. I don't mean a sex scene. Say a gay couple giving a hug and kiss in their kitchen or living room before one heads off to work. Any problem there?

If not, then I'm assuming the issue is less the "gays being affectionate" and more the "public" aspect. You may simply be uncomfortable with public displays of affection. And if you feel more that way with gay couples, yes, it might be in part because you're closeted. You might see a gay PDA as something of an indictment against your relationship. "We don't have any trouble telling the world that this is my boy/girlfriend - why are you keeping yours under wraps?"

Lex

6. ICTOAUN

that helps a lot, thank you everyone! yeah come to think of it, i dont like PDA in general.

7. Just Passing

I think it's sometimes showing off how couples just show so much affection for each other in public, but that's just me.

I must admit, right now I'm in the same spot when it comes to gay couples. I don't like seeing it displayed in public, but naturally I want to get involved in such interactions. So perhaps we are hypocritical, but at the same time, just wanting to find the right balance between romance and public flauntations.

8. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

i don't think so im in the closet too, and sometimes it's just a wierd sensation i get altogether when thinking about the consept of being out and about, and when i see a gay couple, i feel awed/envious/wierded out all at the same time. it doesnt' make me a hypocrite i don't think thou because i've grown up in a society where it's uncommon to be openly gay and when you see something different like that, you're bound to do something of a double take. i hope that changes one day, thou

9. ICTOAUN

some things ive noticed
    i come off way gayer than i think i do.
    straight girls flirt with me just to see if id be interested in them
    and a lot of girls automatically think im into them because im a lesbian. its actually kind of frustrating.

10. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think anyone should do it in public no matter if you are homosexual or heterosexual.