1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to tell a guy friend...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hugohugo, Jun 20, 2011.

1. hugohugo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hi

i'm gay, but i'm out to only a bunch of friends
    i have a good friend i want to tell, but a few days ago we were in a situation that may seem just normal, but may seem awkward knowing i'm gay

back from the beach, this friend asked me to have a shower at my place and borrow some clothes of mine. no problem
    but he's very comfortable with his body and spent the hole time naked, trying clothes and underwear that would fit. of course i was there all the time

the thing is, i don't know how he could react now...
    one of his best friends is gay, but i know he had needed time to fully accept it (knowing he had shared a room for a year with him before being told)

maybe some of you have know a similar situation, or could give some advice for him to take it easy and not feel offended

2. DarkClarity

If one of his best friends is gay then I don't think he'll have a problem with it. Just do it in your own time and when you feel comfortable.

Also, do you know his gay friend, if so why don't you ask what his reaction was?

3. Sadepeura

Hi!

I have a similar problem with my cousin! I occasionally go to a sauna and swimming with her (her family built this amazing sauna at a river) so we've been naked together many times. There's nothing sexual about it, but just like you, I worry that if she knew that I'm not straight she might suddenly start feeling uncomfortable.

Last summer I went to Alaska and we had a sauna in the camp. Some girls didn't want to go there at all because they didn't want to sit there naked in front of everyone. But the ones who went in spoke a lot about the different ideas of nudity and how there was nothing sexual about a sauna. Now the ones that did come in know that I'm not straight, and that didn't seem to change anything towards their attitude to me. I was really worried that they might freak out because I've seen them naked, but nothing like that happened so it made me really happy.

So the chances are that when you tell your friend that you're gay he might not even freak out. It was his choice to walk around naked and he wouldn't do that if he didn't want to see you. He might think twice if he knew you were gay. But it's not like you've been lying to him, so in the end it was his decision. If you give him a chance to ask you questions about your sexuality when you tell him, you could have quite a good conversation and everything should turn out alright.

4. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think he is ok with it because he did that. Not everyone walks around nude at a friends house. Maybe he has some homosexual feelings as well, but does not realize it.

5. hugohugo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'm sure he doesnt have any homosexual feelings, he's just very comfortable

anyway, tonight he moves to my place for a week, i want to tell him so hard it's struggling me. so i think i'm gonna tell him this afternoon. i know it's stupid but i'm still scared he'll freak out a bit, as he really thinks i'm straight. anyway, we won't share a bed !

wait & see !

6. IanGallagher

I've found that all friends, even those who seem a little homophobic, accept it. Some don't. But, I have yet to experience that.