1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child support in IL totally sucks

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dumbblondedoe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. dumbblondedoe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sorry if this is not the right place to put this I am just very upset. I am 21 years old currently looking for a job ive been unemployed for 1 year right now. I am the custodial parent of my 2 year old son. My girlfriend, soon to be wife has been taking care of the financial needs of the family for the past year. My sons father works at the family business, its a automotive shop. He gets paid cash under the table therefore the state can not find his social security number. THe state sent nathans grandfather a income with holding notice stating that he is to hold X amount out of his sons check. Well nathans grandpa had his lawyer (and personal friend) send a letter to the state saying that nathans father no longer works there. However I know for a fact that he does still work there because I see him working over there all the time, he works 2 blocks from my house and yesterday morning I picked my son up from the shop. For fathers day they were on the news and he was saying how he works to support and provide for his son etc. I have text messages on my phone stating he worked over at the shop and hed be a few minutes late picking him up. I am just so agitated because everybody knows hes working down there but yet the state can not do anything about it. I am not the money seeking woman but with me out of work, and the very little times he actually takes his son, but if he can afford his weed, and alochol habit. plus drive a car without even having a license he can afford 20 bucks a week. He currently owes my son almost 1,000 dollars in back pay. Ive even tried to sit down and have a talk with my sons father and all I got out of him was "I talked to my attorney and he said dont pay attention to the papers that come from the state because they are just computer generated and dont mean nothing" but I know for a fact that is wroong because i am studying to be a paralegal and the letters are the same as a court order. so idn what to do since i can not afford a decent lawyer and the state wont listen to me. Anyone got any input?:bang:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may be able to contact someone at CPS or whatever agency enforces child support payments and suggest that they treat it as a fraud issue with the grandfather; if the grandfather knowingly misrepresented a matter like that to the state it is probably a felony.

Additionally, this is the sort of thing where your local TV News station's consumer reporter might want to do an expose on how this guy is directly lying to CPS and avoiding paying you. That's the sort of thing that's very likely to get some bureaucrat off their lazy ass to do something.

The other thing you may be able to do is directly file a small claims action against the grandfather; it would be sticky but if you could show that he's conspiring to hide funds that you're entitled to, you might be able to get the court to order *him* to pay and get a judgment against his business which would be much easier to collect.

3. dumbblondedoe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have been talking to child support enforcement, and all i hear is we can not prove anything n well send it to the regional office and see what they want to do. They have sent him numerous sets of papers, all of which are ignored. I never thought about contacting a news crew. But you are so right i mean for fathers day him and my son were on the news and he was shopping at kmart. i bet they would love to have a story of that nature on the news.
    I mean im still on speaking terms with these people thats how i know about the letter there lawyer sent and the fact that my sons grandfather does not see that it is his responsibility to take the money from his sons check. thanks chip!

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

its just getting rediculous. While my gf is working full time her check does not go that far. I have actually donated my plasma just to pay for diapers. I have tried asking him for money and he always says hes broke he has bills to pay. n he makes more in one week than she does in two weeks he dont pay any taxes or income taxes for that matter.