1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoker Boyfriend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NickT, Jun 21, 2011.

1. NickT

Ok so...my new boyfriend and I are hitting it off very well. Things are looking good. The only problem I have with him is his smoking habit. He's making efforts to quit, but they're not exactly the effective kind of efforts (such as limiting how much he smokes; he's doing that, but it's still scheduled, as in his body is still used to getting its smoke in after dinners and such).

I've tolerated it for a while, but it's starting to get on my nerves, and while I wouldn't leave him over something like this, it still irritates me that someone as smart as he would do something so stupidly unhealthy. Is there any way I can help him quit without getting "all up in his face" about it?

2. I guess it's possible that there's a way you can help, but as a smoker myself, I know for sure that no one would be able to motivate me to quit. I know that it's something that I won't stick to if I don't decide it for myself.

Maybe other people might have experience with this and thus better advice? Idk that's really just me, not necessarily all smokers.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! One way you could help him is to maybe suggest or may get him to buy some nicotine/cigarettes patches. It might help him to reduce smoking and eventually stop it.

4. LazyApples

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could suggest "smokeless cigarettes". I've seen them both with and without nicotine on TV, and in my opinion that's better than the stuff they put in the real ones. I hope that helps.

5. TheRoof

you could show him all the disgusting things that could/is happening to his body by smoking, like lung cancer, esophagus cancer, clots in bloodstreams...etc
    that could potentially make him realize that smoking is just not worth it.
    Other than that, i think there is certain limit as to you can make him stop, other than showing him that you'll be there while he's in the process of quitting.

6. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You're his boyfriend, entice him. Reward him with things. Anything. I mean if I was in his position I would get tired of someone telling me stop! stop! stop! I'd much rather have someone tell me "If you stop I'd make it worth your while with a surprise." Get him addicted to his/your curiosity but in a fun way. (If it is done so in a way that is stressful he'll just smoke it off.) Have fun trying to get him to stop smoking. Most smokers are sensitive to the issue of quitting because it's really hard and the thought of it makes them want to smoke it off. Don't make it serious even though it is.

7. NickT

Well, I did tell him when we started going out that his dick isn't going a cm inside my buttox until it's nicotine-free, sooo :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Ralivar

I think unfortunately that the only way for him to quit smoking is for him to really want to quit, and if you really start pushing for him to quit then its possibly going to end up ruining your relationship.

9. TheWanderer

This.

As with many drugs/ addicts, it seems nearly impossible to convince someone to quit. He/ she really needs the desire to quit for that initial motivation. After the fact there are tons of things you could do to keep that motivation.

For now, I would suggest just talking to him, ask why he doesn't want to quit, what he enjoys about it, and then voice your concerns as to why it bothers you. At least this way he might get the sense that you actual care, are willing to listen, and aren't being so pushy.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Is there any way I can help him quit without getting "all up in his face" about it?

No. And even "getting all up in his face" about it won't help him quit. He simply has to make the decision to quit on his own.

Lex