1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never broken up with someone before...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretstache09, Jun 22, 2011.

1. secretstache09

But I feel now is the time. Me and my bf have been going out for about 2 months now, not a long time, but it feels like it. He is also my very first bf or gf, never had neither. When we first started dating, we both felt very strongly for each other. For me, the newness of talking to a guy in that way was so thrilling that it caused me to believe I was in love.

My feelings started to change after a while. Im not sure what caused it, but somehow I went from being stupidly in love, to trying to avoid him. One of the things I grew to hate was the word "love" because I knew that I did not love him, yet he continuously said it to me. I stupidly said it back, meaning it at first, but then I started to hate hearing it. He had become very clingy, and its my fault. So I then told him that we needed to cool it, no more love talk, and start over from scratch. He agreed, and it was cool for a while. But now Im no longer interested in a serious relationship. I just want to have fun, without the drama of "why didnt you call me" and all that stuff.

I know that Im the bad guy here, and thats what really hurts me. He is really caring and nice, but I'm not ready for that type of relationship right now. I know I'm going to break his heart so bad, heck hes messaging me now as I type about coming to see me tonight. This is gonna suck...any advice? Should I try to wait my feelings out? Should I break up with him? How should I do it?

2. bryan176

Be honest and truthful with him. tell him what you told us here that you were in love at first and then grew apart.

3. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree.

4. secretstache09

Theres one big problem. My phone is off, and for some reason the house phone isnt working either (at my granny's house). So at the very least, we cant talk on the phone. I would hate to break up with him on facebook chat. Idk, Im thinking I should wait, even tho i dont want to...

5. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please as someone whose been dumped online, PLEASE do not dump this guy online!
    This is like the exact situation of me and my ex. Just wait till you have time to meet him in person!

6. secretstache09

I was just about to tell him before i saw your post Taylor. I just hope there isnt going to be crying, but knowing my bf, there will be. This is gonna come out of left field for him. =(

7. secretstache09

Update: I did it, and I feel horrible. He cried, but he wasnt cussin at me, I think it went well. He will be hurt, and I know that karma is gonna kick my ass =(

8. ICTOAUN

what did u say to him?

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

It's easy to feel like you're the bad guy for breaking up. After all, you're partially over the idea when you tell it, while the other party is more hurt.

But really, no one is at fault here. You just didn't feel for him the way he felt for you and you were honest enough to tell him. That's nothing to feel bad about. Leading him along because you like the attention or because you're too afraid to hurt him would have been the worse option here. You did the right thing!
    (*hug*)

10. secretstache09

Thanks Filip! and @Ictoan- what Filip said is pretty much what i told him. I told him that when I said I loved him, I really did feel that, but my feelings changed and it was nothing of his doing. I had so many excuses I could have used, like my sister just passed on the 17th :frowning2:, but I made it clear that it isnt the reason why. I told him we can and should be friends because I still care for him, but I care as a good friend. It was a learning experience, but I realized I'm not ready for a relationship.