1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counseling

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Dare2bProud

Now that I'm off the road and am going to be in a place for awhile, I'm looking into finding a counselor, however, what deters me is the cost. Isn't $100 too expensive?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In this economy, you should be able to find a therapist or clinical social worker, particularly if you're not making a lot of money, for substantially less than that. Here in northern CA, there are intern therapists with sliding scales as low as $25, and experienced therapists as low as $40-50 a session.

For my money, you might actually do better with a clinical social worker (LCSW) than a Ph.D. psychologist; the training Ph.D psychologists get tends to be more research focused so they are sometimes a bit more theoretical, while the social workers get more training in the whole family system and the overall social adjustment as well as the psychological issues. But it really comes down to the individual connection you make, and the degree is less important than the skill of the practitioner and how well you relate to him or her.

3. Dare2bProud

I did find a counselor who she would lower her fee for me ... I feel bad asking her to do that though.

4. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You shouldn't feel bad. It is your money. She will be fine. Any business is better than no business.

5. She wouldn't agree to it if she couldn't do it. Don't feel bad. And, like dl72 said, she'd rather have you pay less and see her than not see her at all.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're feeling bad asking for a reduction then YOU are taking responsibility for the therapist's well being, and that's not OK. She's a big girl, she can decide whether or not to take a reduced fee. As dl72 says, part of something is better than all of nothing :slight_smile: