1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by comeonref, Jun 25, 2011.

1. comeonref

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi everyone.

I've known that I'm bisexual for 4 or 5 years now. My mom has guessed but when she asks, I reflexively deny it. I'm not homophobic at all but I'm kind of scared of coming out. I don't have any really close friends so I can't really confide in anyone so I came here for advice.

What I want to know is how can I come out to my mom and my friends without making it look like I want attention.

Thanks!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

>>>My mom has guessed but when she asks, I reflexively deny it....What I want to know is how can I come out to my mom...

Next time she asks, don't deny it. :slight_smile: Awfully glib, I know, but that's pretty much the way. You can go ahead and tell her next time you find an opening, but don't wait for any "perfect time" - that never comes.

As for your friends - again, look for the opening. Or just create one. "I've got something I want to talk to you about. I've been aware that I'm bisexual for the last several years, but I'm finally to a point where I think I want other people to know about it. And I thought I'd start with you guys, since you're my best friends, and I feel I can talk about anything with you."

Lex

Lex

3. joshk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When my mom asked I denied it for years. Then one time I took the courage to accept it--and everything flowed from there. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I'd imagined it and they'd known of course for years.

4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to EC :slight_smile:

It's very common to be scared about coming out. Hell, I still haven't officially. Does your mom seem like she's ok with gay people? Is she the, "I just want you to be happy" type? I hope that's the case so, as already mentioned, maybe you can say, "Yes, I'm bisexual." I wish some people would ask me in a respectful way during a one-on-one conversation.

Best of luck and courage to you (*hug*)

#4 mnguy, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. joshk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Imagine yourself into her position. She knows. She wants to make it easy for you.
    But she doesn't want to force you into anything. She's leading you into an open space.
    Accept it.