1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by acd92, Jun 25, 2011.

1. acd92

Why do so many people think male bisexuals are just gay men who won't admit that they are gay? And why do others think that male bisexuals just don't exist, or that it's impossible for a male bisexual to exist?

2. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A lot of people use it as a buffer when coming out. That way their parents/amigos wont freak out as much. A lot of people don't want to identify or know that they can identify themselves as "Questioning" so they come out as bi. There are two types of bi IMO. The bi questioning and the actual bi. Unless you read up on your terms and understandings (which most ppl don't) in the GLBT community then a lot of ignorance and stereotypes get thrown around and we end up with questions like the one you posted because people arn't willing to comprehend something they already believe otherwise.

3. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because most people don't understand.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Another reason its because its very hard to label who exactly is a bisexual person. As in, how gay must you be for you to be consider bisexual? The thing is that the answer changes from one person to the next and its very hard to set the line. Reason why its extremely hard to conduct bisexual studies.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fact is, many people do use the term bisexual as a buffer. Some use it as the stage they need between identifying as straight and as gay. I'll admit, I claimed to be bisexual because I wasn't ready to admit being gay. I believe bisexuality is possible, but I believe also that labels are just that, labels. You can say you're bisexual but you have to realize many people are not going to take it as just that, bisexual. They're going to see it as some "step" to being gay even though it isn't...

6. acd92

That is true...so many people see it as a "stepping stone"- in fact, so many of my friends have asked me to prove that I'm bisexual... :confused: Labels, labels, labels...haha.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is mainly down to the fact that often people who only find one gender attractive find it difficult to understand how it is possible and how it would feel to love both genders. I dont think it helps that sometimes people use it as a stepping stone, but I dont think this is the main reason. I think it is general human nature to find it more difficult to understand things we cant feel ourselves.

8. Ben

Ben

I find it difficult to understand why the concept of bisexuality is all that hard to grasp. The same goes for asexuality. Bisexuals get a bad deal because some people who identify as bisexual early on go on to come out as something else, but I only think it's right to accept people's sexuality as they say it is, not speculate that things could be different until you have reason to believe so. But if you're assertive with your bisexuality, then people should eventually get the point.

9. 4alex6

I've wondered the same thing. It does seem like people just don't understand, in fact whenever I told one of my friends that I am bi they said that it is impossible to be bi and that I'm gay and I just won't admit it. I was searching the internet some on this topic and I found an interesting article posted by the New York Times: Straight, Gay or Lying? Bisexuality Revisited - New York Times

10. Just Passing

For various reasons. Either because it is sometimes literally a defence for actually coming out as a gay man or in some cases, some gay men feel betrayed if a bisexual man goes off with a woman after their relationship, but that's another story.