1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help making supportive friends in college?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shell110, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Shell110

So throughout high school I was kind of a loner. I feared rejection and judgment so I didn't talk to anyone. In 9th grade, I made three friends who were in band. In sophomore year I made two good friends. In 11th grade I kept my three band friends despite the fact I quit band sophomore year. Senior year I made one great friend; they approached me - I didn't approach them. Also that year I slowly opened myself up and felt closer to my 3rd year Japanese classmates. I knew them all for three years but my fears slowed down my opening up to them.

During high school I feared judgment and rejection but I didn't know why. I felt as if I couldn't relate to anyone at all and that I was different from EVERYONE and was being forced to live life according to society's expectations. Because of these issues I diagnosed myself with schizoid personality disorder and sometimes avoidant personality disorder. Now I feel that those diagnoses were wrong (and of course only a professional should be the one to diagnose anyone!) and that my problems were due to a failure to accept my sexual orientation.

So... I'm going to college now and I would like to make friends - especially to support me as I come out. How can I build a supportive group of friends in college?

2. steel03

The fantastic thing about starting college is that everyone is new and everyone wants to make supportive friends. The first few days you're there, you'll meet so many people there's no way you'll remember all of them. The best thing you can do (and a lot of this will be instinctual) is to eat meals with lots of different people. Test the waters with as many potential friends as you can right away. Everyone will be doing this.
    I've been incredibly lucky over the past year to get to know the tightest group of friends I've ever had. I've known some of them for five months and I already feel closer to them than I ever did to any of my high school friends.
    Do stuff with a lot of people, and if it doesn't feel right, try other people.

My point, I guess, is that as long as you actively try (and you have a good sense of humor - that goes miles and miles), you're bound to find someone. :slight_smile:

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The trick about college is to actively get involved. Find any club that you might even t think you will enjoy and start going to meetings. Since you will have mostly the same interest as people in the club, talking is usually easy and making friends kind of just starts to happen.

If you want, you can also join your LGBT group and your uni. That way you will get supportive friends and LGBT friends all at the same time :slight_smile:

4. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good points. Also when you met people in college, you should be upfront with them. If they are going to be your friend, they will like you no matter what. If not find other people. There are many great clubs and organizations in college, look for them and join them as well. True friends will like you for who you are, no matter what your beliefs are.

5. Shell110

I appreciate the replies posted so far - thank you. I have a college freshman orientation to go to tomorrow and I know that will be the perfect chance to socialize with many different people.

6. This. This. This. ^

This what what made the difference between my first college experience, which was awful and my second, which is amazing.

Good luck! :slight_smile: