1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the significance of wearing a lgbt bracelet?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shell110, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Shell110

Why do some people wear a lgbt bracelet? Is it because:

1) Its one way to come out?
    2) It shows their pride in the lgbt community?
    3) It shows you can accept who you are?
    4) Its just a fashion choice?
    5) other?

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say 1-3

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have one, but I do have a pride necklace. I mostly wear it because it's pretty, but when I do wear it I do think about the pride element of it. So I suppose, pride/fashion choice.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The wearer wants to wear it.

Lex

5. Foxywolf

1-3 and shows other lgbt people that you're lgbt.

6. Kso1995

i say cause its pretty and probably reasons 1-3

7. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

Where would one get a LGBT bracelet? I have never seen one.

8. Shell110

The rainbow delegation

9. Markio

I think the reasons for wearing them change with the context. I pretty much only wear mine at Gay Pride events. I bought it at a store in San Francisco. I think they might also sell them at Hot Topic.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

All of the above. Same reasons you would wear your team's jersey, your country's flag or even a star wars shirt.

11. Just Passing

Sounds like a nice idea, though I'm not sure if I would personally wear one. 1-3 sounds the most accurate to me, though there is some credibility to 4, but I wonder if LGBT supporters wear these as well, though I guess people was just assume that they were gay instead.

12. vncc14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The LGBT club at my college gave out rainbow bracelets for free during their pride week, and lots of people got it and wore it all the time. I know for sure most of them are straight and just wear them to show support, which is an awesome thing =) I have another (straight) friend who just loves tie dye -ish things and that bracelet goes well with the tye dye sweater that she wears all the time.

I wear one too. I'm not out of the closet but not fully closeted either. I'm at the point where all my close friends know, and if anyone asks I would tell them the truth. So this lovely bracelet bring my confidence to a new level =)

13. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wear a Rainbow Delegation band, two FCKH8 bands and a rainbow springy bracelet because I'm a supporter. If anyone asks me, I say I'm pro-gay rights, LGBT friendly, all that jazz. I wear it so people can see I support LGBT people and perhaps feel safe or confident around me to be who they are. I also think it might help anyone in the closet to see that there's at least one person around them who'll accept them, though I've not experienced that yet.

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Have I mentioned you are awesome? Because you totally are :grin:

15. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

I second this.

Even though I am able to accept who I am, I dont think I am ready to step all the way out of the closet, though I am taking babysteps out of there. I requested a rainbow delegation bracelet and when I wear it, I think I will say its to show support to the LGBT community

16. AtmaWeapon

My best friend who identifies as straight wears one like almost all the time to show his support. I sometimes wear mine around college campus, when hanging out, and at LGBT events.

I wear it because I like to. I'm proud of my orientation and stuff but I don't wear it as often since I look dykey as it is, for lack of a better word, and so yeah. I know some who wear their pride bracelet almost every day. People just wear it and all it means is that they are an LGBT person, most likely, or are an ally.

17. Noahroxursox

When I get one, it's going to be that i want people to know that I'm gay, and its who I am, no one else, and to show pride about being myself

18. ToxicBliss

ToxicBliss Guest

I know lots of straight people who wear them to show that they support LGBT people.
    If I saw somebody with one I wouldn't necessarily think they were LGBT because of it and I know a lot of people I know wouldn't presume that either.

19. acd92

I'd like to THIRD this. Completely awesome. Really. :slight_smile: Yeah, I've actually been thinking about getting one too! But I don't know where to find one...maybe Hot Topic? I guess it just shows that you're really comfortable with showing your support for the LGBT community, or that you have pride in being a part of the LGBT community- in any case, I think it's great! :slight_smile:

20. Camman3

I wear a pride bracelet to express my support for gay rights (2), to let other LGBT people know I'm gay (1), to show closeted LGBT that they are surrounded by people like them (5), it looks pretty damn cool :icon_wink(4), I love who I am and can express that (3) and because I can :thumbsup: