1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Date Ideas

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by higby442, Jun 26, 2011.

1. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone, hope your Sunday's are all fantastic!

I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sharing some 1st date ideas? I am planning one in the next few days. Just a little background, we met online on a dating service, have chatted for a few weeks, and talked on the phone a few times-so we know eachother's stories fairly well.

So, I have a few ideas of my own, that I was hoping to get some feedback on too.

1. We both love trying new foods, so dinner and a walk around town (both new to the area) but I was worried this was too boring

2. We both like art, and there is a place nearby with tables where you can take pre-made blank white pottery, paint it and then the place glazes it, puts in a kiln and you pick up later. I've done this before, and its fun and laid back and gets conversation and creativity all in one.

3. An afternoon at the beach

4. Going to the local art museum

5. Wine tasting at a nearby venue

Thanks for the help, and I appreciate any feedback!

2. trannydude

my vote goes to the beach. it can be sooo romantic! but,thats just my opinion.

3. Jay

Jay

Not wine tasting, anything alcoholic (even if it's "classy" as wine tasting) should be ruled out.

Not the Beach. Not that first dates shouldn't be romantic but I guess you're looking for a long-term relationship and not a one-time sex buddy. The beach doesn't convey enough seriousness for a first date.

I would personally recommend the pottery thing. (You can go watch Harry Potter as well!!) In all seriousness now, the second option sounds perfect: you want to do something fun, but get to know him more at the same time. It's in a semi-public place so you're OK and after that you can go for a coffee or to grab a bite. It sounds lovely.

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The pottery thing sounds like a lot of fun!
    If you're both into art, it seems like a great choice. :slight_smile:

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

YOU are so the guy that I need to talk to when coming up with date ideas! They all sound fun, so I say go with whatever you feel like.

I SUCK at planning dates. That's like the one thing I can't do xD Same with picking cheesy presents, but then that's where my sis and mom come in haha Oh, god. So lucky most of my boyfriends have been the ones that like to plan stuff out xD

Good luck! :slight_smile:

6. TheWanderer

Im am the same way...

As for the OP the pottery thing sounds like a really good idea. maybe lunch then this pottery thing??

7. Gumtree

I've found first dates are pretty polarised, you either want to talk heaps, or it's awkward and forced.

If you suspect that you're going to enjoy each others company, then it doesn't matter where you go, you'll be too busy talking to be involved in anything else, so some food and a walk would be perfect.

If you're scared that there's potential you might not have the same chemistry in person, then something hands on would be an excellent idea!

It's no where you are, or what you're doing, it's who you're with!

8. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

9. browneyedboy

ye i think everyone has hit it spot on do something chilled and relaxed yet not over romantic on the first date, as it really means you have to up your game every time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. i think wine tasting is amazing, and think its a really cool date, but i agree not for the first time. depending what type of guys you are might depend on whether youd enjoy doing the art (pottery) or rather admiring the art (museum) which also opens up to conversation as every one interprets art differently and its unlikely youll be left without anything to say. followed by a early dinner or walk around town would make a pretty awesome date.

10. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again everyone for the insights. I went with the early dinner, walk around town which includes a stop in for a capuccino and a walk downtown which takes us by a cool harbor and a park. Here's to hoping it goes well. I think its going to be one of those situations where we end up talking a lot-we never struggle for conversation at all on the phone, so I'm hoping in person that works out the same.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm sure you'll have fun either way. Don't sweat it if it doesn't go exactly according to plan and enjoy! :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes!

12. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to give you all a follow up on how things went. So, we did the dinner and the walk around town and....IT WENT FANTASTIC!! I know it's the first date and I'm not projecting the future too much. But, it was just nice that everything went as planned. Nothing was awkward, and he and I were very much in tune with eachother. The cool thing was, we weren't exactly the same person-we each had some similarities, but we had differences too which made each of us that much more attracted to eachother. It was the perfect mix between "opposites attract" and " finding someone just like you". We were able to talk about what we both liked, but it was great to sit and listen and ask questions about someone else's interests that I didn't know anything about but was interested in learning about.

Thanks again for all the advice. One of the things we talked about was what to do next time we go out, and some of the ideas either you guys suggested or I was thinking about, he suggested-so it's all the right things to do, just in due time. So, I cant wait to do all the fun stuff.

Next time we are going to do the pottery thing. That should be so fun! :slight_smile:

Anyway, I didn't want to leave you all hanging. Thanks agian for the help, I really appreciate it!