1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I finally made a dating site profile...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by adam88, Jun 30, 2011.

1. adam88

...and I have no idea what I'm doing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Should be fun.

Does anybody have any advice? Things to watch out for? I was tired of being lonely to the point of desperation so I thought I'd do something about it.

2. Foxywolf

I guess all I can say is don't put your address online for some creeper to stalk you! Other than that I think it could be a fun experience!

3. EM68

There are a few things you want to make sure of. One, don't put any contact information on your profile. If they want to contact you, they can use the message system from the dating site. If you do meet someone, communicate for a little bit, feel them out, then decide whether or not you want to exchange phone numbers.

Two, when you meet someone, meet in a public place, bring a cell phone with you and tell a friend or family member that you are going on a date. Also keep your expectations in check. Many times unfortunately people don't use the most accurate profile pictures or even sometimes lie about their profile. Lastly be yourself and have fun! :slight_smile:

4. adam88

Slight update, I've been chatting with a guy for about a week and he seems pretty cool. We're setting a date to meet later this week sometime. This is exciting. Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll let you know how it goes. :slight_smile:

5. ByoNexus

KK, Good Luck, and I hope it goes well and he doesnt turn out to be a creep!

6. adam88

He doesn't seem like a creep so far. *fingers crossed* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. feelindown

feelindown Guest

1. no personal info. only a first name.
    2. meet in a public place.
    3. meet for something quick on the first meeting..coffee shop. let them know you have plans afterwards but wanted to meet up for a few minutes. this allows you to "get out of there" with a built in excuse if you are not having a good time or the person is creepy.
    4. let someone know where you are going and who you are going with. if nothing else, write this information on a piece of paper and leave it somewhere where a loved one can find it. also write down all info you know about the person and description and number and where you are going.
    5. stick to your original plan. if they say, "hey you wanna come over to my place" after you had a good meeting, just say, no. do not divert from your original plan.
    6. people lie about a lot of things, so dont be surprised if the person that meets you is not the person in the picture you see. if you are were given the ole bait and switch routine, just politely end the date immediately. no time for lies.
    7. park a bit away from the meet up spot. this way the person can't get your car or license plate description.
    8. meet preferably during the day on a weekend for coffee or tea. night time meet can sometimes make people feel..."in the mood".
    9. talk a while on teh phone before you meet. that way you can see where their head is at. do not develop cyber relationships with people. talking for months prior to meeting. the phone person is never the same connection as a real person.
    10. trust your instinct.