1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Poor GSA

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Perrygay, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

My friends and I have been actively trying to start a GSA this year in our school. We live in a conservative, military Georgia town, and it's been a real struggle. And today we got some bad news.

Basically, there's a county law that mandates a VERY specific order of requirements for approval of after-school clubs. One of the requirements calls for a "parent reviewal" of any club. What happens is the school hosts a public meeting and the parents of students in the school are invited to come and listen to mission statements, and to make comments. But, as long as the club has no intention of illegal activity and is in compliance with county/state/federal law, the club is allowed to continue the process of "ratification", or approval, by the school.

Well, we didn't make the parent review deadlines. It's a long story, but the Progressive club (the ONLY other liberal club that was attempting to be approved this year) was shut down because of a legal technicality, and most of the people who were working on the GSA got caught up in that fight. And today we were hoping that with the new semester opening up in January that they would give us some sort of unofficial status to operate on school grounds, but they're insisting law is law and they can't allow us to do anything with our club until next year.

But that really isn't even the problem. The main problem is the fact that ALL of the people, with the exception of me, who intended to work on the actual creation of the GSA this year are seniors; they're not going to be in high school next year. So today a group of them informed me that they are going to go ahead and file all the necessary paper work tomorrow for next year, so all the deadlines will be met. And guess what? I'm listed as the President.

So now I have a whole different problem on my hands. I'm a junior, but I've always been in classes with this years seniors, so all of my friends are seniors. My school's population is so huge that I don't know too many people who aren't seniors, I've never had a chance to socially interact with them. I know that there are other queers and straight supporters in the school, I just don't know them personally. And because we're not allowed to post anything in the school to attract people, I can't really figure out how to draw any attention to the club for next year.

I know this thread is kind of a rant, but everyone's welcome to post their thoughts and advice :icon_bigg

2. Tim C

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It's not important that you be brilliantly successful at every thing you do. But my guess is that you'll be making a difference by just by giving it your best shot.

Creating publicity for a gay student association isn't all that necessary. By simply being in existence- you have the potential to connect with the people who are interested. So open yourself up to doing the best job you can, listen to others while following your own instincts and see where it leads.

Look at it as an adventure to be explored rather than a battle that needs to be fought.

All the best,

Tim

3. Louise

I don't know how it works in America but surely they can't stop you from talking openly about your project. Word of mouth spreads very quickly in closed environments, especially a topic like this one.

If you are allowed I would say talk to as many people as you know about the club, talk to the class leaders - if you have them. In France every class has 2 delegates that represent their class mates if you have this system you could let all the delegate know about the club and ask them to talk about it in class and tell them who the kids can contact (in total confidence) if they are interested.

Sorry, that's all I can come up with for the moment.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Perry, look at the bright side. What a great way to meet more gay kids and supporters in your school! I think word of mouth will be a great way to advertise and let people know that your group exists. GSA's are a much needed resource in schools. They will come!

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well
    is a part of the constitution so how bout holding your meetings outside of school? Technically all you need is a meeting place, I'm sure you have a recreation center in your town or a center for youth. Technically you don't even have to tell the proprietor (executive director/owner) anything other than "it's for a support group".

And off hand, do you know the "laws" they used against establishing the "group".
    Because as conservative as Georgia is, i'm quite certain that it is debatable (and with 500 odd people here), i'm sure we can find an obvious loophole. Or is it that you simply did not make the deadline?

In particular did they give you a reason why you can't post things around the school to attract people? Are there posters around the school for other student-led groups? What is the reasoning they are allowed to post them if so?

Sorry if i'm asking too many questions, but too me this is absolutely astonishing, it's nowhere near this hard in Canada or even NL! (probably the second most conservative province in Canada, Alberta probably taking #1)

PS: is peaceably a word?

6. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

They won't allow us to establish the GSA because we didn't make the deadline. But the reason they shut down the Progressives was because the teacher sponsor forgot to hand in ONE document pertaining to his agreement to sponsor the group. That wasn't even our fault, and because of that we got delayed on the GSA. And, yes, we have replaced that teacher with a new, more responsible one.

So legally they have a right to not allow us to meet in school, which is why we're being very careful with all of our paperwork and sponsor this time.

And student groups are allowed to post around the school, but only groups that have been legally created. Since we missed our deadline, we're technically not a student group this year, and therefore can't post anything.