1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to a friend you like?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tiredofsleep, Jul 3, 2011.

1. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I have this friend that I've known since like elementary school and I kind of have had a crush on him forever. He has a wife and a 2 yr old daughter and a son on the way so I assume he's pretty straight lol.. I really really like him and I'm ok with not being his bf or anything cuz I realize it's never going to happen anyway, lol... I'm just at the point where I'm rdy to come out to ppl as I've already started to but I'm afraid he'll really get creeped out if he knows I'm gay and not talk to me anymore cuz we hang out all the time and idk.. get along better than most 2 dudes lol...... I've already lost a lot of friends over this, yes even in 2011... I feel like he knows but I can't be sure exactly... and I am just at that point where I need friends who really know this about me, who know the real me for a change, cuz being in the closet gets old after a while...

I realize this is prolly not the first time in hte history of the world that a dude falls for his straight buddy but I really am not sure how I'd do if he just told me to #*@( off you know...? I guess maybe it'd just be a good thing to find out in the long run idk...

2. Bart93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Tell him you are gay, but leave out the part where you are attracted to him.

If he doesn't like the "gay you", then you shouldn't be friends with him.

P.S. I am in the same boat. Love my best friend, but thankfully I go off to college this fall and I can actually meet some guys that WANT to be with me haha

3. TheWanderer

When your ready tell him. I thought my cousin was going to react in a similar fashion however, when I came out to him he was really cool about all of it and has even gotten to the point where he is willing to talk about SOME of it.

4. CrazyAntFarm

Yeah, I agree with the other poster. If you feel like you're ready to come out to him, tell him you're gay. If I were you, I would hold off on telling him about liking him. I've came out to and admitted crushes to two straight friends, and now, I only have one of those friendships left.

5. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya I would not tell him I like him. I'm just afraid he'll never talk to me again anyway... I grew up with him, he's like a brother to me... He's been calling everything negative 'gay' lately so I'm not sure what his deal is, he never used to that I remember, so it's kind of bothering me. Plus one of our good mutual friends knows about me, and his wife I'd be willing to bet... so idk if he knows or not... I'm thinking that I should just tell him and move on but I'm not really feeling confident/secure enough right now I've just been really depressed lately...

6. Just Passing

I'd tell him, except the "I fancy you" part. If he leaves you over this, then he was never a good friend in the first place.