1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just want to be out already

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kaygirl08, Jul 3, 2011.

1. kaygirl08

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm starting to get very frustrated. A couple weeks ago I changed my 'Interested In' to 'Women' on Facebook, hoping that would be enough for me to be out. But nobody commented on it, and since I'm pretty sure other people don't see when you change that part of your profile (I think?) I have absolutely no idea who knows.

This Friday I was at a sleepover with two of my friends (both of whom support gays and whom I'm 99% sure would accept me). I wore my rainbow necklace and was hoping that one or both of them would bring it up, but they just kind of looked at me awkwardly but said nothing. And then during a game of ten fingers I pretty much told them that I wasn't straight, and then that I had kissed a girl before, but still they said nothing. Again they just looked at me a little awkwardly for a moment and then moved on like nothing had happened. So I'm 95% sure that they know now, but I just wish they would say something! I feel weird bringing it up myself because I don't want it to seem like it's a big deal or something (even though for me, it kind of is a big deal.)

I just want to be out completely. It kills me when I'm around people who don't know because then I feel like I'm lying to them. But again, I don't want to bring it up myself.

So what should I do? I've considered just posting something on Facebook... Should I? I really don't want to make a big deal out of it, but I'm just so tired of being in the closet. What do you guys think?

2. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

hmm that is an interesting dilemma. i suggest that maybe you bring it up to those awkward friends of yours in a more direct way; like, say that you're gay, and you wanna just get it out there and make sure that they accept you for who you are, you know? i never believe in beating around the bush, it just causes unnecessary stress. and i know that you're tired of being in the closet, but if you don't wanna make a big deal of it, i do Not recomend posting it on facebook, because than it will definitly become more of a big deal than it already is. and seeing as this is one of few posts, i will assume that you're new on EC, and to that, i say, Welcome! :slight_smile:

3. RaeofLite

If it really bothers you, then just let them know that it bothers you that there hasn't been much discussion about it. It's possible that they see you in a different light now, because they weren't seeing you as a lesbian before. However, they should just see you as their old friend that they know and love.

For now, I think you should "just be" and live your life. :slight_smile: Who cares who knows? The important people in your life know and that's all that matters at this point.

I remember wanting to jump around telling the world about my sexuality because it was who I was and dammit, they weren't going to take it away from me! But... you have time to do that, if you so wish in the future. Just life your life, and if it bothers you, maybe bring it up in a discussion with them. Ask them how they feel about it and let them know that you're still the same person they know and like. :slight_smile:

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes the problem is that other people dont want to make you feel awkward and even though you have been dropping subtle hints sometimes people dont know whether to say something or not incase you dont want to talk about it, I dont think you have to make it into a big deal but if the not talking about it bothers you then it would probably be best to say something either on facebook or in person.

You will probably find once you have brought it up then they will talk about it too and it wont be awkward anymore.