1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why can't a guy be bi?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blikeo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. blikeo

Of the two people i have told(Both Straight Males), both have said i was just gay, and didn't want to say it. Is this a common view? I really don't like people telling me what i am and am not attracted to.

2. whatsnormal7

a guy can be bi! a lot of people think that it means you dont want to come out yet but it is usually not true.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people say that. There are bisexual men, it's just that some people use being bisexual as a stepping stone to coming out as gay. I've had some of my friends say that bisexuality does not exist at all. I would just try to express to them how that makes you feel. Bisexuality is misunderstood by some people.

4. haelmarie

I don't think anyone knows the one answer. It could be that a lot of gay men think that they're bisexual at first; it could be that bisexual men get a lot less media attention and portrayal; it could be that (straight) person's sexualities are less threatened by people with homosexual inclinations than those who like both boys and girls. It could be all of these.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh....a straight guy is probably the most common type of person to say bisexuality doesn't exist. I mean the gay world is becoming more believing and accepting of bisexual men (it use to be that many gays didn't think bisexuality was real either). But yeah if anything, a straight guy is going to see you as gay. The main reason is they're just being silly...and don't really understand that a guy can be attracted to a girl and a guy. Remember that straight people generally find it difficult enough to believe someone can be attracted to the same gender, let alone both. So don't mind your friends and just live with it. They'll get it eventually.

Sorry to any straight members, not all straight people are idiots, just some.

6. MsLala

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it helps, both me and my boyfriend are bi.

7. IanGallagher

I've only come across that belief once on a app to find gay/bi guys. I'm in LA though where bisexual guys are common, hell even Collin Farrell is one - just read rumors from the 'Alexander' set about him and Jared Leto. Outside of LA? Unsure, ran into problems in Vegas. But, not here.

8. nerdyboy87

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    They exist, they're just very rare. Bisexuality is just naturally more common in females than in males.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a load of crap and you know it nerdyboy.

10. ArcaneVerse

I wouldn't say they are rare, but I believe it is more common for females to be bisexual then males.

It is common for straight males to not believe in bisexuality and I think that's because its believed guys are generally more about the physical when it comes to sexuality and attraction, so they cant see how another guy could be attracted to such opposites.

11. IanGallagher

The 1950s was a really difficult time to like the same sex. Alfred Kinsey studied human sexual behavior, he discovered that 45% of "straight" men have had relations with other men. Today? With more acceptance in society, more would come forward. Meaning, more people are actually bi than not - like in ancient times and societies without labels, don't think natural inclinations like that can naturally minimalize but if it's made a taboo?... basically more bi's exist than society is aware of. Especially in men, just there's other labels - heteroflexible?

#11 IanGallagher, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they can =P

13. Shevanel

I think that males have just as much of a tendency to be bisexual as females do, it's just that females are probably more common to accept it, and be open about it.

At least in current society.

14. ArcaneVerse

Yeah that's true too. Also didn't think about the many possible bisexuals who are deep in denial or those who just haven't, and may never, come to realise that side of themselves.

---
    I just tend to believe that female sexuality is more fluid and open, add to that the theory that females are more attracted to personality's and emotional connection which presents the possibility for romantic relationships that overlook physical traits.

^btw that's not meant to be considered fact or even to be taken seriously and isn't to say that guys cant be just as fluid or open etc, its just a thought.
    ---

I think its safe to say though that people tend not to believe in things they cant understand.

15. IanGallagher

Well, some girls go for emotions just like some guys go for "whatever hole they can get into" lol. Not to say all guys and all girls are like that. Just that the same could be said.

16. Just Passing

Men can be bisexual and anyone who says they can't is simple minded. I'm not a huge fan of bisexuality (though I don't hate it), but it definitely exists in men as it does in women. I never considered myself bi at all, but I know there are going to be people that do, prior to if they later identify as gay or whatever else.

Definitely this.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is what I call the "Elton John path". Where one claims bisexuality as a "toe in the water" before declaring homosexuality. The mistake is assuming that anybody who claims bisexuality is on that path. It seems gay guys are far more likely to do this. "Yeah, I said I was bisexual when I was first coming out, wink wink". Just hold your ground - "No, I'm pretty sure what I am and what I like" - and don't argue the point.

Lex

18. Just Passing

Ah yes, I was going to mention Elton John in my post, before I reconsidered. Glad you did Sir Lex. :slight_smile:

19. MoDude66

MoDude66 Guest

Just try and think of Sexuality as a scale..
    Males... Attracted to men---------|-----------BI----------------------Attracted to women
    Women..Attracted to Women------------------BI----------------------Attracted to Men

Maybe you are more attracted to men that women on the scale.

Where are you on this scale? It may help.

#19 MoDude66, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  20. blikeo

Attracted to men--------------------BI--------l------------Attracted to women